PDA

View Full Version : Newtek's Website Redesign

Deux
07-06-2005, 07:06 AM
What the heck happened? It used to look so much better, now the homepage just looks like a warez site with banner advertising overload. And don't give us the spiel about 'faster loading cos it's simpler' - we're pretty much all on broadband these days.

Sort it out NT.

-: Deux :-

CB_3D
07-06-2005, 07:20 AM
i think it looks ok. and finally fast links to Lightwave. Good deal,the Vue 5 one,btw.

Brian Arndt
07-06-2005, 07:56 AM
same amount of buttons/banners as before. Just going for a more simplistic and easier to navigate layout.

gjjackson
07-06-2005, 08:58 AM
I like it better. It actually looks more professional.

cgolchert
07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I like the overall look except for the crap along the right side. It looks like I accidently highlighted some of the text. That looks bad.

maxxwv
07-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Perhaps I missed something, but warez site? Granted, I haven't visited a warez site in a long time, but when I did in the past they looked much like a 5 year old with a TRS-80 slapped something on the web. Personally, I like the new design - single-click navigation is handled very well, I think. My only question is why is there a Newtek Home link on the home page? Small thing, but hey - I'm getting more and more anal as I get older. What can I say?

Overall, I like it - looks more approachable and more professional at once - nice job, NT web guys and gals.

coremi
07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
i like it also, it's clean, more proffesional, way to go webmaster.

Martin Adams
07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
huh, I don't understand the deal with Vue Infinite.

I own LW [8]. If I were to buy Vue 5 Infinite, I would pay $599. But, for $4 less, I can upgrade (albeit to the same version of LW) and get Vue 5 Infinite free.

Only if I had the cash :rolleyes:

hrgiger
07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
I like the design better. Only took me about a day to get used to it.

Brian Arndt
07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
we're going for a more professional /simple/ easy layout instead of flashy/hard to navigate look.

As are all websites, they are a work in progress and constantly being updated and fixed so any issues reported are always welcome!

Martin Adams
07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
... so any issues reported are always welcome!

Uh-oh, being a software tester by profession I take much pride in breaking things.

I guess two very brief points I'd make are as follows:

If you go to www.newtek.com you see the fantastic LW + VUE Infinite promo.

However, if you go to www.lightwave3d.com, it is a lot more difficult to find. Personally, I usually go to this URL instead of the NewTek one.

Second point:
If I were to add one of the special offers to the cart, and being a Brit, I'd select 'United Kingdom' under the country. I only have two shipping options which both state 'US only'. Realistically, having the country selection goes against the available shipping methods.

Lightwolf
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
we're going for a more professional /simple/ easy layout instead of flashy/hard to navigate look.

As are all websites, they are a work in progress and constantly being updated and fixed so any issues reported are always welcome!
Hehe, you asked for it ;)
The drop-right menus on the product specific menues don't work properly running with Opera 8.01 on a PC, they actually appear at the top left of the page.

Every thing else is o.k., I think the NT logo is a tad large and eats up too much space, but that is subjective... (then again, none of the competitors that I looked at have a logo _that_ huge ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

toby
07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I really liked the grey gradients framing examples of 3d artwork. Now it resembles a box of envelopes.

From a funtionality standpoint, I really don't like the mouseover pop-ups while browsing a thread list. It'll pop up an entire paragraph and cover the 3 threads below it.

I had to copy-paste "Vue 5.0 Infinite" in another window to find out what in the world it was, but it's great that Mac users aren't left out of this offer! Looks great, wish I hadn't upgraded already :^P

riki
07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Looks okay to me. Clean and functional.

Brian Arndt
07-07-2005, 08:55 AM
as far as the buynow section, we have things in the works that will fix those issues in the future. Their has been some issues involving zipcode changes in the states that are going to be causing issues so things will change for the better eventually :D

as far as the popups. . are you talking about on the forums or on the product page menus on the left or top?

cgolchert
07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
..except the crap along the right side that looks like I accidently highlighted some text. :)

Lightwolf
07-07-2005, 09:07 AM
as far as the popups. . are you talking about on the forums or on the product page menus on the left or top?
If you mean me... I meant the product page menus on the left. The submenus are positioned at the top left of the page in Opera.

Cheers,
Mike

Myagi
07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
not a big deal to me, but just wanted to note that the new page does not work correctly with IE5.5, loads with errors, rendering the top menu bar unusable (clicking a button gets you nowhere).

since the philosophy was to keep it simple, there doesn't seem to be any reason why it shouldn't work with a little older IE :)

Lightwolf
07-08-2005, 02:30 AM
not a big deal to me, but just wanted to note that the new page does not work correctly with IE5.5
Is that IE on the Mac or on the PC?

Cheers,
Mike

Myagi
07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Is that IE on the Mac or on the PC?

it's on PC, Win2k.

Brian Arndt
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
hmm havent heard that issue before.