PDA

View Full Version : Menu Items?

ghoniba
07-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi Gang:

Major newbie question. I just started using Lightwave 8.3, I'm going through Dan Ablan's book: Inside Lightwave 8. Everything was fine until I went to the first chapter. I went to select the 'Create' menu item, but I don't see it! Infact, I seem to be missing a few menu selections. I only have the following:

Items
Modify
Setup
Utilities
Render
View

I would guess I am doing something wrong, but this is the default screen I get when I call up the program. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn

evenflcw
07-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Perhaps your in the wrong module/program? LW consists of Modeler and Lightwave (more often refered to as Layout). Modeler is used to create new objects, and Layout is used to stage, animate and render (and more) those objects.

ghoniba
07-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Well don't I feel like a clown. There appears to be two icons in the Lightwave folder, one called: (oddly enough) Lightwave and another icon called: Modeller.

I guess this makes me wonder why there are two icons for this program? The Modeller icon seems to have all the menu items that the Lightwave one does and more! (or at least all the ones I see in the book)

Can anyone please tell me the difference between the two icons?

Thank you, Glenn

evenflcw
07-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I added a sentence in the above post. :)

Perhaps these could lend some assistance to give you a better understanding of the two:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/introductions.htm#Intro%20to%20LightWave

Welcome to the LW community btw.

ghoniba
07-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the feedback. I didn't realize there were two modules, I was in the wrong one!

Nice link evenflcw...thanks.

Glenn

c0deb0y
07-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Try and go all the way through that book. The Inside LW series will take you far. Also, if you got the printed books from Newtek, you might want to go through the little starter guide that comes with it before getting into anything too heavy.

Also, remember to "save all objects" when saving your LW scenes so you don't lose changes to textures, etc.

Have fun man. You chose a great app.