PDA

View Full Version : small update

phyc249
02-14-2003, 10:14 PM
thanks for the comments. I am posting an attachment instead of a link.

I have made a small update. I have made a small change to the apple texture which I hope makes it look a bit less streached and a little more subtle.

by tightening up the specularity you think the specular highlights should be smaller? I tried that and really didnt like it nearly as well.

phyc249
02-14-2003, 11:06 PM
I apparently clicked the wrong button when I posted this. it is a continuation of the "apple scene" thread

oxyg3n
02-14-2003, 11:06 PM
I was thinking that the reflection could be made more subtle and also it should be blured a little bit. Reflections are rarely perfect like that.

oxyg3n
02-14-2003, 11:08 PM
... I was looking at the specularity and I think that it works fine. Perhaps a small bump map can help to break up its regularity.

phyc249
02-14-2003, 11:32 PM
I have not had much luck with bump maps for the specularity on this project. I dont think I want to put much of a bump on the apple because apples are pretty smooth. the specular highlights cover a pretty small area. I think the bump map would have to be fairly drastic to get much results. I could try putting a projection map on the specular. I may try that.

I do like your idea about chaning the reflection. I have tried adding a noise map to the reflection channel and didnt get the kind of results I was looking for. I would like to make it so the reflection is clear where the apple is close to the table and fades as the apple gets further from the table. the bottom of the apples would be clear and the top of the apples would be almost non existant. it seems like this had something to do with the BRDF shader but I dont remember the details.

oxyg3n
02-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Have you tried blurred reflections? It is under the advance tab for the surface properties I believe. It will add greatly to your render time, but it could give you the look you want.

Give that a try!

phyc249
02-14-2003, 11:53 PM
I added blurring to the reflection. I do like it better.

phyc249
02-14-2003, 11:57 PM
is there a limit on the attachments? I cant seem to get attachments to work now.

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:00 AM
I think that they have to be under 100k.

phyc249
02-15-2003, 12:12 AM
my image is less then 50k. the image at the top of the thred was 176k. when I try to attach a new image it simply does not show up.

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Hmm, I dont know what to suggest then. Maybe the forum is experiencing problems or something. Or maybe your web browser is being fussy. Have you tried restarting your browser? Perhaps your computer is telling you to reboot it, sometimes that seems to fix these type of odd errors, at least when they happen to me;)

riki
02-15-2003, 12:41 AM
The relection is strange, it looks more like a ghost. Not sure what's up with that?? Bity it strikes me as odd the minute I saw it.

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Does it look like a ghost because you have the reflection bluring up high? If so try to lower it, I think that 10-15% looks good usually.

oxyg3n
02-15-2003, 12:46 AM
Sorry, I thought phyc249 was having problems, I didnt notice that the last post was by riki.

phyc249
02-15-2003, 09:19 AM
the reason the reflection is ghostly is because I have the reflection turned down. I did not want the table top to look like a mirror. the image at the top of the page has no reflection bluring. I have tried to post an updated image with blurred reflection but it doesnt seem to show up. I am using the attach command because I use geocities and links to geocites from message boards dont seem to work very well.

phyc249
02-15-2003, 09:20 AM
ok so that time it seemed to work. strange..

Simon
02-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Reflections like that underneath objects are difficult to get to look natural, I think it's the way Lightwave has an additive effect when it reflects or something like that. Blurring that will definately help but as oxyg3n says that's very sloooow! Your apples look pretty good to me for an unpolished apple, they either look really shiney if you polish them up, or if unpolished I think they could do with a few subtle textures on the specular channel to break it up a bit, so some of the colours in the apple look more matt than others, if you see what I mean. Nice work :)

Simon

phyc249
02-16-2003, 12:18 AM
everyone kept talking about the specular but I just didnt get it until I stumbled across a tutorial. so here is an update on the specular.

by the way the tutorial is here.
http://www.savinoff.com/home/?chapter=extras&part=tutorials

phyc249
02-16-2003, 12:28 AM
attachments not working again. is there a limit of one attachment per thread per day? that seems to be what I am getting.

I am putting a link to the image but it is geocities so some people will not be able to get it. I will post it as an attachment tomarrow.

http://www.geocities.com/daphyc/images/Apple1.jpg

by the way, anyone have any suggestions for good free web page providers that actually work on these forums?

phyc249
02-16-2003, 12:30 AM
ok that didnt work lets try this.

http://www.geocities.com/daphyc/images/Apple1.jpg

oxyg3n
02-16-2003, 02:33 AM
Shucks, I cant see the image with the lihk you provided. Why is it that geocity pages do this?

Also, I will ask my friends tomorrow if they know of a good free web hosting that you can use. I remember my flash teacher telling us about it but I didnt need to use it so it went right out of my other ear!

Oh and I dont think there is a limit to how many post you can have in a day.

phyc249
02-16-2003, 10:29 AM
here is the immage as an attachment.