PDA

View Full Version : "Use bones from..." Problem

spj
07-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi,
I'm almost finished rigging a character and I've come across a problem that has me completely stumped.

I have a character rigged with bones and objects in one layer. I take his shirt(it's separate geometry), and place it in a second layer, load it into layout and set it to use bones from the first layer.
The problem is that the shirt deforms differently depending on which layer it is in. The only deformers in the scene are the bones in the first layer.
If I understand things correctly it should be deforming exactly the same, regardless of which layer its in(same pivot postion and rotation, both 0,0,0, same weightmaps, same geometry ect.)
Any Ideas??
Cheers
Sam

Weetos
07-05-2005, 04:40 AM
hmm the only thing I can think of if that since you placed the cloth in a different layer and assuming it's made of subd geometry, you might have default object properties assigned to it (subdivision order set to 'first' instead of 'after bones')

Maybe that's not what you meant when you said it was deforming a different way, so maybe you could post a screenshot, I'm sure it could help people pinpoint your problem in no time

Hope that helps

Dodgy
07-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Also,make sure you have one bone in the shirt layer, otherwuse if you change the Bone falloff mode, it won't stick. If you have falloff set to 128 in the bones layer, the shirt layer might have 16 falloff and you can only change it if you have a (null) bone in the layer.

spj
07-06-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the replies!
I've check both those things and they don't seem to be the problem.
I've attached a couple of images to show whats going on.

spj
07-10-2005, 03:47 AM
I still haven't got this figured out, I've checked everything but I'm a bit worried I've missed something really obvious.
I've added an example file of the problem.
Any help would be great.
Sam

spj
07-11-2005, 04:43 AM
I've just figured it out.
The "faster bones" option doesn't work when you're using bones from another layer, regardless of whether the option is ticked on under the bone properties.
To test this turn off faster bones in the first layer of the example and you'll see the shirt on both layers matches up.
Don't no whether this really counts as a bug or not, but its really annoying.
Sam

PS: can anyone else confirm this??

Dodgy
07-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Try adding a deactived bone to your shirt layer, then turning on 'use faster bones'. I think it'll work then,