PDA

View Full Version : large image render not working-coming up blank in image viewer

3dgirl
07-04-2005, 03:19 PM
help! I am trying to render a single image at quite a large res (around 7680x5760 medium antialiasing).

So what happens is that the render renders all fine overnight, says it's taken 8 hours, but the image window is grey and when i press "continue" there is no image there. (when i try to save it anyway just in case the image just isn't showing up in the window the save dialogue box doesn't come up).

Small images (720x576) render fine. My segment memory limit is at 8, but i don't think that's got anything to do with it, as from past experience it won't even start rendering if the image is too big for it. When i render a small 'successful' image after a large "unsuccessful" one, and go into the dropdown menu in image viewer to select the previous image, Lightwave crashes.

I have tried 4 times now, with restarting the machine, and always end up with a blank image viewer!!

I have never come across this before- any ideas??

thanks!

toby
07-04-2005, 05:43 PM
The larger the image the more trouble LW has rendering it, so when you do them you should set an output path and use F10. This uses less memory because it doesn't require the image to be loaded back into ram when it's done.

An uncompressed 128 bit image (that's what it is until you save out a format) at that resolution probably takes several hundered megs just to open in the image editor, and after rendering that size there's not enough left.