PDA

View Full Version : Importing 3ds files

Mr.Kester
07-04-2005, 05:13 AM
I am not sure why when I open a 3ds file in LW it's all messed up none of the colors or textures are there. Is there anything I can do? I'm using LW6.5. And is there any way to open in LW6.5 a LW7 or LW8 object?

Thanks for any assistance.

BeeVee
07-04-2005, 06:38 AM
You'll probably find that you can open *some* LightWave 7.5 or 8.x objects in 6.5, but it's not guaranteed. As for 3DS objects coming in, I don't know whether there has been a lot of work on the 3DS importer since then, because it's an old format, but having to do clean up of another program's objects is standard - you'd have the same trouble exporting an LWO to another program...

B

MonroePoteet
07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
From the relatively few 3DS objects I've imported from a store-bought collection, LW V8.2 seems to bring in the colors and textures correctly. I don't have a way to verify they're identical to what appears in Max, though.

mTp

starbase1
07-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Basic colours and image mapped textures MAY work, but forget procedural textures.

I found you could often clean up the imported model fairly easily in Modeller though - try selecting and deleting any 1 or 2 point polygons for a start. Align can also help, (or if that fails try making polygons double sided).

You may find you have to do this several times with older versions, as it gets different results on successive attempts.

Be aware the when it imports a model it doesn't like, modeller gets about as stable as a one legged drunk on a unicycle, so save often.

Nick

Mr.Kester
07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I think because I have such an old version (6.5) I'm stuck with poor transition. I just needed to know if there was anything I could do about it. Sounds like manual repair in Modler or a much needed upgrade will take care of it.

Thanks for your help!