PDA

View Full Version : question on how much to charge

LightStang04
07-03-2005, 08:20 PM
i am doing a two in one project, how much should i charge for a 15 sec commercial, and a 30 sec intro to a show the show i have to build a 3d city and a car. Commercial is a can and an enviornment with several props. What do i do?

Alliante
07-03-2005, 11:36 PM
I would think it would be fairly easy.

If it's a quote: How long do you expect it to take, then add 25% (because there's ALWAYS something that gets thrown in the mix), then mulitply by your hourly rate.

If it's work already done: multiply the hours by your hourly rate, add taxes, then add expenses.

Your hourly rate should AND will depend on your client and competition.

This is a common question, and it's almost always the same answer.

Depends

Hoopti
07-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Couple things to add from practical expeirence:

- Get it in writing.
- figure out who's going to own the product at the end, and if it's you, make sure you have a timetable on the amount they can use the product before they have to pay you again.
- Make sure you put in writing how many times and at what points they get to "review" the work, and make changes. Make sure it includes what happens when they "go above and beyond that".
- Also make sure there's a due date, and include what is termed as "force majeure" language meaning you're alowed to miss this date for events above and beyond your control, such as the client making last minute changes, and other acts of god.

Hope this helps.

Hoop

ps. The right amount is always the most you can get for the job, as long as it covers your costs and gives you the profit margin you want and need. There is no magic formula.