PDA

View Full Version : image map size?

Johnny
04-27-2003, 09:00 PM
sorry to post this question, but I looked dilligently for an answer in the manual, and on this board..

I can't find information as to how large I need to make my image maps for various uses.

my gut tells me to make them approximately the size they'll be rendered at - so, larger for printing purposes than for web-viewing.

is this about right?

J

jasonwestmas
04-27-2003, 11:36 PM
What kind of Image maps are they? Are you worried about the resolution of the textures fitting on your model? There is an auto size feature in the surface editor. You merely have to center your object in the viewport with the F2 key for autosize to work.
JPWestmas

lord
04-28-2003, 12:24 AM
I generally try to make my image maps as big as the region I think they'll cover in the final rendered frame. That's for animation at least.

If it's for print then I'd probibly apply the same theory, though I would certainly try to get away with as small a map as I could.

Test render regions and specific objects to see.

Image maps could get really big depending on the size of the print image and the print resolution.

turbo
04-28-2003, 07:54 AM
For real-time game models depending on the type of game ie. console, online or game cd they can be texture sheets ranging from 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 to 1024x1024. (as far as I know) ... :)