PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cooled Macs

The Tin Man
07-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Hi

Just wondered what owners of Dual 2.5 and Dual 2.7 thought of their macs.

I am in the position of buying a reduced in price new Dual 2.5 or a New Dual 2 ghz Powermac (both outgoing models with PCI-E and 8x Superdrive). My main concern is the longitivity of the sealed Liquid cooling unit on the processors.

My main concern is the life expectancy of the Liquid Cooled units and the potential for leaks etc as they get older, although I understand the fact they have not been around for too long, and that if there was any real concern Apple would not be using them for the New Dual 2.7.

Essentially I wonder whether I should stay will the tried and tested air cooled units or the state of the art liquid cooling (I would have thought the Air cooled fans were easier to maintain and replace without the need for Apple Technicians).

Just wanted peoples opinions and experiences so far so I can make a valued decision.

Thanks

Tony3d
07-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I have owned about 7 cars in my life and not one sprung a radiator leak. I suspect with virtually no vibrations the liquid cooled macs should last a long time. I own a 2.7 gig with 2.5 gigs of ram and couldn't be happier. I guess time will tell, but I have no real concerns.

parm
07-03-2005, 08:02 AM
I've just got one of the dual 2.5 machines at a very reduced price. After using a 500 MHz Ti power book for the past 3 years, Lightwave on my new machine is a revelation.

As Tony said, computers live in a relatively sheltered and stress free environment. Besides, I would fully expect to upgrade in 3 to 4 years. No worries at all.

Parm

The Tin Man
07-03-2005, 01:41 PM
I guess if you upgrade every few years you don't have to much to worry about.
I tend to hold onto stuff for longer, as we all know Macs are notorious for just going and going and going. They are not in such a great need to be upgraded or replaced as much as a certain other platform.

So, as with everything the longer you keep it the more likely something may go wrong, but I have to say getting a Dual 2.5 for less than the new Dual 2.3 is very tempting, and just get the Applecare to cover the 3 years (just in case)

Cheers

Captain Obvious
07-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I haven't heard of a single PowerMac springing a leak, and after a year out in the open, you'd expect at least a couple of people to have issues with it, if such an issue even exists. ;)

But besides, it wouldn't really be that big a catastrophy. The liquid is probably pure water that doesn't conduct electricity well enough to cause seriously harm to the computer.