PDA

View Full Version : Make a plugin or get your idea made into one. Description

ThriJ
07-02-2005, 11:51 PM
http://www.geocities.com/the3dentsanimation/joining-minds-top.jpg

Description thread

Okay I have decided to conduct an experiment and I know something like this has been done before. I have noticed there are a good deal of people wanting new features and plugins, and there are a good deal of people who have extraordinary programming skills looking for a challenge. That is where my Joining Minds plugin thread comes in. It is where someone can post an idea and description of a plugin that would help them and the community out, and someone with the right skills can try to make it happen. After the programmer and the originator of the idea are happy with the plugin they can post it and create a thread dedicated to any further development. If the plugin is good enough, perhaps sell it. I hope this will lead to the creation of some great plugins and ease the amount of feature requests that are better suited as plugins.

NOTE: Do not post your plugin ideas on this thread. This is the description thread not the Joining of Minds plugin thread. Click on the below link to get to that thread

THE JOINING OF MINDS PLUGIN THREAD (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=282507#post282507)
PLEASE READ THE BELOW INFORMATION BEFORE YOU POST ON THAT THREAD!

If this is going to work then there is going to be the need for a few rules:

THERE SHOULD ONLY BE FIVE TYPES OF POSTS AND NONE OTHER:

1. Someone posting their idea for a plugin

2. Someone posting that a similar plugin already exists

3. Someone offers to build the plugin

4. The programmer and person with the idea post the finished plugin

5. The programmer and person with the idea post the reason the plugin could not be made

PLEASE DO NOT POST:

To comment on my experiment

To comment on someoneís idea or resulting plugin

To comment on the skills of the programmer either negative or positive

To comment on my grammar and spelleng skills :D

To post anything that does not fall under the five posts I listed as acceptable

Important Note to person with plugin idea:

Before you post, make as sure as you can that the plugin you want does not already exist. Search the net and check out www.flay.com. Do not ask for something that is obviously a feature request that would only work if built into LightWave. Do not ask for something that is extravagant that would require a company of geniuses to make, like an auto human generator. Do the best you can to show how it would work as much as what it should do. You canít just ask and leave, if a programmer accepts, you need to be ready to work and communicate to make your vision come true. Be ready to compromise, if the programmer says it must do this to do that then it means that it must do this to do that! The programmer will have good ideas too, so be willing to listen. If you ask for a strange plugin then you will get a strange plugin, so donít throw a fit if something in LightWave or on your computer messes up. If you think someone is out to get you send a Newtek Administrator a message. After the initial post all communication will be by private messages, E-Mail or instant messenger etc. Nothing should be said on the Joining Minds plugin thread until both of you are happy with the finished product. If you agree with this then feel free to make a post.

Important Note to person who wishes to make someoneís plugin:

Okay, you are the programmer. You donít have to be the best or even experienced. If you think you know a way to make their idea into a plugin then give it a try. And Even if you happen to be an L-script and C++ god, if you donít know how it could be done then donít give them the false hope. If you want to do a few tests before you accept then do it. If you accept then you should commit to the end, yes even if you get board! Even though you are the one making it happen remember it is their plugin as much as it is yours. Add in your ideas but try to make their vision not simply yours. If you suddenly realize it canít be made, then say it and post it on the forum with the problem, it may give someone else a chance to whack at it. There is no shame in needing help. If there is any chance that the plugin may harm their computer in any conceivable way and you are not sure how to prevent it, then give every warning you can. After the initial post all communication will be by private messages, e-mail or instant messenger etc. Nothing should be said on the Joining Minds plugin thread until both of you are happy with the finished product. If you agree with this then feel free to make a post.

The below posts provide an example to illustrate how the thread should function.

Pretend that LightWave does not have a box toolÖ
Yeah I know just try and use your imagination.

ThriJ
07-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi I am Bill Guywithidea and I have an idea for a plugin. I often model things in LightWave that could use a box as a base and since I live in ThriJís strange illusion where LightWave has no such tool I figured it would be very helpful to everyone and I if somebody would make a box plugin. Basically the plugin would make six four point polygons and have them welded together to make a cube. In the numeric panel you would control the width height and depth. Here is how I think the interface should look:

ThriJ
07-02-2005, 11:56 PM
This is Jim Thatmadealready and a box plugin just like that is made by Welly Labs. Not many people in ThriJ world know about it, so I see how you missed it. Just go to www.wellynotrealsite.com to find it.

ThriJ
07-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Hey Bill, I am Bob Codemaster and since we are now pretending that Jim never made a post, I think I can help make your plugin.

ThriJ
07-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Hi fellow Thrijarians, Bob and I are ready to show you our plugin. Bob really knows his stuff and we have made the plugin even better. There is a screenshot and a zipped attachment of the plugin below. If you want to comment or see future updates go to this thread: blablabla

ThriJ
07-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey folks, Bill and I are almost finished with our extraordinary plugin and we are looking for beta testers. We have agreed to sell Boxy the plugin for about 30$. We will each get fifteen dollars. Plus we will donate some money to ThriJ. Just Kidding :D

Any further comments or questions should be sent to the boxy thread at: blablabla

ThriJ
07-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Well everyone we have run into a problem. The What-What will not let the Bla-Bla execute the Something-Other. I have tried everything and I do not believe there is an answer. Below is the attachment of what we have done so far. If someone out there in ThriJ world can figure this out please send Bill or me a private message.

ThriJ
07-03-2005, 01:15 AM
That is how the thread should work. Hopefully it will begin to help everyone out. I will even post my own ideas from time to time. This is only the description thread so I suppose you can post any questions or comments you may have about my experiment on this current thread.

Remember this is not the Joining of Minds plugin thread where you post ideas.
That thread is there --) THE JOINING OF MINDS PLUGIN THREAD (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=282507#post282507)

Dodgy
07-03-2005, 03:12 AM
I did think about this kind of thing myself. Great job for actually typing the whole thing in :)