PDA

View Full Version : h.264 not working in LW 8.3 OSX (crash)

crpcory
07-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I've been noticing in general a bit of a stability problem with h.264, sad since it is such a beautiful compression.

I get a crash every time i render out an animation with h.264 in lightwave (crashes when 2nd frame completes).

Anyone else have this problem

dual 2.3 powermac

marlo.steed
07-02-2005, 04:01 PM
My approach has always been to render out at high animation or no compression and then use a program like QuickTime Pro to compress to something else. That would be my recommendation, that way you can always repurpose the the animation for another purpose because you are starting out with something that isn't compressed.

riki
07-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Marlos apporach is the best idea. Render out as an image sequence and then import that into Quicktime. Mind you, I haven't been able to get good results saving out to h.264 format with QT. It's supposed to be so easy but takes forever and ends up looking like mud. Not sure what 's going wrong there???

crpcory
07-02-2005, 09:09 PM
yeah, thanks.

I'm doing that from time to time in my projects, i actually do it in FCP probably or with compressor. I realize this works but its a bit of a work flow issue and i just hope the people that need to, fix this bug.

Too bad since now its an issue of codec quality vs. time, its just annoying to have to do the extra step, normally not a big deal but sometimes, time is money

KPS
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I save in h.264 all te time with no problem. I'm on a Dual 2.3 G5 with 4 Gb Ram, running OS X 10.4.1 and Light wave 8.3.
What version of Quick time are you using?? Im using 7.0.1 I herd that there were some issues with 7.0.

Jeff

Johnny
07-30-2005, 09:15 AM
I save in h.264 all te time with no problem. I'm on a Dual 2.3 G5 with 4 Gb Ram, running OS X 10.4.1 and Light wave 8.3.
What version of Quick time are you using?? Im using 7.0.1 I herd that there were some issues with 7.0.

Jeff

I have just about your same set up, and h.264 for me also takes for ever to create, performs well in the time line in FCP studio..I'm extremely skeptical of the file size, tho...I have image sequences which weigh in at about 4GB (300 @14mb each); my h264 clip in the Finder is 5.9MB!

seems WAY too good to be true...is h.264 intended for quickie in-house proofing and "dailies," or is it a production codec intended for NLEs, then on to finished product?

J