PDA

View Full Version : Layouts interface has suddenly become unusable

zogthedoomed
07-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Running Lightwave 8 on an AMD 64, Asus A8N-sli, gf 6600GT 128Mb, 2Gb Ram, Win XP Pro.

Lightwave was running quite well. It certainly renders fast. But yesterday I did two things. Installed AVG 7 and sorted out the network connection to another (win98) computer. Since then the panels in Layout open so slowly its almost impossible to use. I click a button in say Surface editor and it take litterally 30 seconds to open. If I move a pane everything stops for a while leaving a white box where the pane was and after a while the screen refreshes a couple of times and its ok again, until I do something else.

Is this a known problem? I've had a quick scan of the forums but found nothing yet. I'l keep looking. I've dissabled AVG but nothing changes and I've unplugged the network cable. Again no changes.

Thanks for any help.

zogthedoomed
07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
OK the problem was solved. While I was still working on the textures I'd kept them all as 24bit. These are textures in the region of 3000x2000. About 180Mb worth. When I knocked them all back to 8bit each everything was fine and Lightwave ran smoothly again.

Now as stated above I've got 2Bg of very good RAM, 64bit 3200 AMD on a good Asus board, a 6600GT 128 Mb card. Its not a slow computer. SO why is Lightwave finding it so difficult to deal with large 24bit images?

UnCommonGrafx
07-13-2005, 05:40 PM
T'ain't LW, so much, as it is what you are asking of the computer.

Your knocking them back to 8bit and recovering the interaction you are used to is the evidence. As well, that 64bit motherboard is only being used to half (or less) of its designed power if you aren't running win64.

Don't forget: you are in control! ;) And :lwicon: is your tool. Feed it right and it will take care of you.