PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Surfaces

macus701
07-02-2005, 06:22 AM
I am using Lightwave 3d 8 and I have a little problem over here.

Every time I create something in Modeler with multiple surfaces and then load the object into Layout, the only surface that appears in Surface Editor(in Layout) is the last one I created in Modeler.

No matter how many surfaces I create in Modeler, only ONE shows up in Surface Editor in Layout.

Is modeler flattening the layers/surfaces somehow when I save the object?
What am I doing wrong?

Probably a newbie question, but still an issue for me.

Thanx in advance!

Weetos
07-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Are you sure you have selected some polygons before pressing "q"? if not then the new texture is applied to the whole object instead of your selection, and therefore this would cause the issue you described

Hope that helps

Regards

Weetos

macus701
07-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I am quite sure since I opened Surface Editor in Modeler and saw all of the applied surfaces.
And when I load it up to Layout only the last created one shows up.

I have no idea what can be wrong.

Anyone?

Lamont
07-02-2005, 03:34 PM
You save it after the surfaces (in Layout)?

hrgiger
07-02-2005, 04:30 PM
I"ve never heard of this, I've only heard of losing texturing by not resaving the object after applying textures but not surfaces.

Can you tell us the steps you are taking (exactly) to create these different surfaces?

toby
07-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Try double-checking the problem. The hub can confuse things so turn it off temporarily (I never use it myself) or at least clear the object from layout. Apply your surfaces in modeler, save the object, close it, then open it in modeler again, and see if you lost the surfaces. If it's ok, then load it into Layout.

If you've lost the surfaces at this point, you have a bug that none of us have ever seen! But I'm guessing that it's the hub that's either not updating the model, or is somehow reverting over the changes you make. Since 8.0, LW has had some trouble updating additive changes to the models.

macus701
07-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Ok hrgiger step by step it is:

Let's say that I'm making a gemstone.

1. I choose gemstone from the menu and I hit enter. Then 'q' to open Change Surface panel.
I name it gem and change some options, clicking OK.

2. I then press 'q' and type 'Air' as the new surface name. Change some options and click 'OK'.

3. I 'Save all objects' and save it as Gemstone. Then I open Surface Editor and I can see both surfaces, Gem and Air.

4. Then I choose 'Close All Objects'.

5. I choose 'Load Object' and Gemstone.lwo. I then open Surface Editor and the only surface that is there is Air.

So Toby, the problem appears already in Modeler. Any suggestions after reading my step-by-step?

toby
07-03-2005, 02:12 AM
If you hit 'q' twice in a row you're changing the surface of the same polygons twice - you need to select which polygons you want to be one surface, hit 'q' and apply the surface, then select the polygons that you want to be another surface, and hit 'q' again.

If you have no polygons selected, it assumes that you want to affect all the polygons. "None selected, all affected" is the phrase we have for modeler.

You will always see all surfaces in Modeler because modeler does not delete surfaces until you close the model. It keeps them in case you need them later, and to protect you from losing complex surfaces if you were to delete the wrong polygons.

If you select one of the surfaces in the surface editor, you can see how many polygons it's applied to, in the upper right corner. I'm sure one of your surfaces said '0'.

macus701
07-03-2005, 03:58 AM
I gotta go to work now but I'll try it as soon as I get home. Thx Toby!
Hope It wasn't a bug, just me being a newbie!

Lightwolf
07-03-2005, 05:25 AM
Also, another thing to look out for: Modeler displays _all_ surfaces ever created during your current modelling session, even though there may be 0 polygons that actually have that surface applied. So you may see surfaces in the surface editor that are actually not applied to anything.
The surfaces list will only be flushed if you exit modeler. The advantage of this is that you can temporarily remove a surface from a polygon, but apply it to something else later on without using the settings.

Cheers,
Mike

macus701
07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
As I (you) suspected. I had no polygons selected...
Feeling kinda neebish right now.
But thx alot u guys!

Found my new life motto: "None selected, all affected" - thx Toby...