PDA

View Full Version : Render errors using recontruction filters

starbase1
07-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi All,
I've been trying the new antialiasing options, and I am getting wierd results. I can't really post an image as it only occurs in animation.

I'm using PLD 5 pass anti aliassing on a sequence where a moon and planet drift across the view. If I use anything other than clasic reconstriction filter, I get a black trail as the objects move. Rendering with F9 never shows problems, but remndering out to an image sequence does.

I also tried changing the codec for the video on the off chance (From ivx to Microsoft Video 1), but that made no difference either.

The number of PLD passes also does not affect the result.

This is a syhame as the effect of new anti aliasing on single franme renders is MUCH better.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm on LW 8.3

Nick

starbase1
07-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Whoops - as you were. I think I have traced it to the the Hyperstars plugin that I am using for my stars background.

Hoopti
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Make sure you're using the most current version. Also, if this is a continuing problem if you are, make sure you post this as a bug to them so it can get fixed.

Hoop

toby
07-02-2005, 06:49 PM
This is a shame as the effect of new anti aliasing on single frame renders is MUCH better.
Nick

Really? I've only gotten unsatisfactory results. Can you tell us what you did? Post images? Pretty please?

starbase1
07-03-2005, 06:06 AM
OK, now the $"! thing has vanished completeley, can't get it back at all! Ah well, better that than be stuck with it I suppose!

I'll try and do a couple of comparison images, but the biggest benefit only showed when I animated the scene. (And kept comprression to a minimum).

Perhaps it would help to describe what I was doing - I had a planet with ring system panning slowly across the field of view with the ring tilt changing. here's a lot of fine detail moving there. I found that the 'box' filter gave noticably better results, preserving the ring structure.

5 classic versus 5 new was much better, but going up to 9 on new ver nearly eliminated problems, somethng that no amount of extra seemed to help with using classic reconstruction.

Nick

toby
07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
So you're only using the new reconstruction filters, not the PLD AA, is that it? It's only the PLD passes that I have a problem with -

starbase1
07-04-2005, 07:02 AM
I don't understand, can you explain a bit?

toby
07-04-2005, 01:58 PM
You are using different Reconstruction filters, but for Antialiasing are you using Classic or PLD?

I'm finding that to get the same quality with pld AA as you would with classic AA takes a lot longer. Reconstruction filters seem to give you different looks, results being subjective -