PDA

View Full Version : linking low Res and high Res models

DrAlain
07-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Hello, here is a question for a professionnal.

I think this has been already asked before but I don't find a clear answer to this problem.

The Problem :
I have two versions of a single model : a low polys one that will be animated with a mdd file (made for it) and a second one, high polys, that is devoted to the rendering. There is no bone animation at all.

The two models are coming from another 3D application. And the high resolution model is a subdivided version of the low resolution one using a subdivision process as the ''subdivided polygons Smooth'' tool we have in LW. So we could clearly indentify the points of the low res model among the huge amount of the points in the high res model.

The Question :
Is there a way to make the high res model driven by the low polys model ?

I have tried MetaLink on a hiRes model child of the lowRes model on wich I put Cloth tool to be able to load my mdd file... (the two model being on two layers of a single lwo file). But the result is sad, many points seem to stay in place during the animation.

What are the other solutions ? Some manipulations in Modeller, some other tools in Layout?
Tips & tricks, plugins, weblinks, short step by step are welcome :)

Many thanks

Alain

Surrealist.
07-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Typically you simply use the Replace with command in the items tab to replace an object with another once the animation is worked out.

I've seen tghe metalink tool used here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Collide_CD.mov

The MDD file can be saved and loaded so that is separate from the object as is any data from the scene file not saved with the object as you know.

So the replace command the simplest solution by far if metalink is not working.

That is as far as my knowlege goes. I'll be interested to see what others have to add in the way of any plugin's etc.

DrAlain
07-02-2005, 12:38 AM
The 'Replace with command ' does not work because the mdd file just have the points of the low Res model. When this mdd is loaded onto the Hi Res model, just some of the points are moving the orthers stay in place (and the result is sad).

Another idea : is there a way to transfer some map in Modeller from the low Res onto the HiRes ?

Many thanks

Alain

(LW 8.3 Win)

xav
07-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Maybee could you try a normal or displacement map using normal map create
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html
i don't know if this could work with mdd file...

hope this help

Surrealist.
07-02-2005, 02:20 AM
The 'Replace with command ' does not work because the mdd file just have the points of the low Res model. When this mdd is loaded onto the Hi Res model, just some of the points are moving the orthers stay in place (and the result is sad).

Another idea : is there a way to transfer some map in Modeller from the low Res onto the HiRes ?

Many thanks

Alain

(LW 8.3 Win)

Got it. Yea of course. the Whole point of metalink. I tried it by the way and got the same result. I don't have any silver bullet here so I am going to post the metalink problem separately and see if we get anything.

Dodgy
07-02-2005, 04:19 AM
I've had that problem before, the cause is usually points in the low poly mesh which aren't attached to anything (like skelegons for example) and which aren't moving. Have a look through your object and see if you might have any points like that.

DrAlain
07-02-2005, 06:39 AM
I've had that problem before, the cause is usually points in the low poly mesh which aren't attached to anything (like skelegons for example) and which aren't moving.
Dodgy, do you mean that to be able to use Metalink, the low Res Model and the hi Res Model must each have one skelegon (and the mesh attached to it) ?

Maybee could you try a normal or displacement map using normal map create
This is an idea ! I will try it as soon as possible ! thanks xav :)

I tried it by the way and got the same result. I don't have any silver bullet here so I am going to post the metalink problem separately and see if we get anything.
Surrealist, looking for your results, thanks a LOT for your help.

Best regards,

Alain :)

DrAlain
07-02-2005, 08:50 AM
I have found this weblink that could help us :
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/27478.html

A brief recall : I have a low res mesh and an mdd file that matches perfectly with it (the animation is perfect using MD_Plug).
Reading the above weblink it appears that I could use this mdd file onto a Hi Res mesh using MD_MetaPlug... but the result is sad.

Here is step by step, do I missed something ?
0. I have my low Res Model and its mdd file for its animation.
1. Load low Res Model in Modeller and subdivide it once (Subdivide Polygons Smooth Fractal=0 Max smoothing Angle= 89).
2. Save it as the Hi Res Model
3. Load Hi Res Model in Layout
4. apply MD_MetaPlug in the Deform Tab of the object properties Panel.
5. double click it
6. in 'Motion Designer MetaPlug 1.24' Panel : load my original Mdd file, then load the lowRes Model as 'Cage Object' , 'action start'=0, 'Replay Speed'=1.0, 'End behavior'=Stop, 'Key Move'=Off, smoothing ON, Disable OFF.
7. click OK
8. ... and the result is sad ! !

But as I understand MD_MetaPlug, this plugin should be able to help us in this situation !!! ???

What are your thoughts ?

Best regards ,

Alain

toby
07-02-2005, 03:31 PM
If the high-res version is merely a subdivided low-res version, you should be able to simply convert the low-res model into subpatches and the mdd will still work (maybe?) since you haven't changed the number points or their order.

Surrealist.
07-03-2005, 07:39 PM
OK I made some progress on my end. Got to thinking over the weekend regarding what it said in the manual about the low res object actually being a two point poly.

NOTE: For some reason I assumed part of the set up included using Sub D in the objects since normally you would if you are applying any kind of deformation. In my set up both of the opbects were sub D. I don't know if that was how you had it set up or not. If so this might be a help.

On a whim I decided to try the low res object as an un-subD object. I turned subdivision surfaces off in modeler(tab key), went into layout and recalculated the motion.

The first pic is the reslut with the subD on for the low res object. The second is with subD off on the low res and subdivision order set to last on the high res object in the object properties geometry tab. (sub d ON of course for the high res)

So I would suppose you will have to recalculate the low res model again if you try this. So you will be working right in the dynamics panel not in MD Plug. I assume though that if it works it will work in either place after you recalculate.