PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Viewports

Chuck_T
06-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi, feel a bit thick having to ask this but how can I render just a viewport in layout i.e. just a front view close up so I can get texture mapping right, it just keeps rendering the camera view even when I'm not in it. I'm a MAX user, so please bear with me.

..............Chuck

Lightwolf
06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi, feel a bit thick having to ask this but how can I render just a viewport in layout i.e. just a front view close up so I can get texture mapping right, it just keeps rendering the camera view even when I'm not in it. I'm a MAX user, so please bear with me.

No need to apologize ... for asking the question ;)
You can't. You can however create a camera with an extremely high zoom factor which will get you quite close to an orthographic render.

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
06-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I do think it would be nice if Layout automatically created Viewport cameras so that we can render from an particular active window.

Dodgy
06-30-2005, 02:29 PM
http://www.flay.com/getentry.cfm

Do a search on here for orthographic and 5 or 6 options come up...

toby
06-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I for one do NOT want 4 extra cameras in my scene - in Maya you have no option, and you can't get rid of them or stop them from rendering. The world of plug-ins is a great place for this feature.

Lamont
06-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I for one do NOT want 4 extra cameras in my scene - in Maya you have no option, and you can't get rid of them or stop them from rendering. The world of plug-ins is a great place for this feature.Yeah, same for me. I hate getting a scene and not being able to see what's in it because the camera is hidden, the draw distance is messed up or something. I just want one camera, but be able to render each viewport (like Max).

toby
06-30-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm sure you could set up buttons with lscript commander to add a camera far away, or to activate one of those plugins, leaving any added complexity entirely up to the user -

JML
06-30-2005, 10:02 PM
when you press F9 , LW should detect on which viewport the cursor is and then render it. just like in max.
this is basic stuff and I'm surprised LW doesn't have it.

and also surprised LW doesn't have any option to control the 'worm effect'..
not sure of the correct name for it. (it's to have all vertical of a render trully vertical.. used a lot in architectural renders)
(eliminate third perspective point )

toby
06-30-2005, 11:23 PM
It's probably because it's mainly intended for television and not stills - but here's how easy it is :

@warnings
@name Ortho

generic
{
AddCamera("Ortho");
Position(0,0,-2000);
ItemProperties();
ZoomFactor(1000);
AddNull("Null");
SelectItem("Ortho");
ParentItem("Null");
}

Made with lscript commander, I can't program to save my life

Dodgy
07-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Camera management in Maya is horrible. Anytime you have anything at a vague extreme of size, all maya's cameras' clipping planes have to be adjusted so you can see your objects and it's just awkward. I prefer the one camera which is renderable, I very very rarely use an orthagonal, and I like just being able to hit F9 and know the render is going to come out the right one rather than suddenly realizing I had my mouse over the wrong viewport. As lamont says, IMHO this is a good place for a plug, or just setting up your own camera.