PDA

View Full Version : Remove LW Discovery edition or show error message when no dongle is detected

JML
06-30-2005, 09:11 AM
we have to move LW keys from computer to computer sometimes , and we sometimes forget to plug the LW key and start working in discovery mode without even knowing it.

we of course find out when we try to save and we can't because it's in discovery mode. and we lose work.

it would be great instead of this, to
- be able to put the LWdongle at any time, so a realtime switch from discovery to the full version of LW
OR
-have a error message saying no dongle are detected when LW start

hrgiger
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Well, I would disagree with removing it but I definately think a refresh button is in order so that we can insert the dongle and refresh Lightwave to avoid losing work.

Dodgy
06-30-2005, 03:27 PM
There's a plugin which checks to see if the dongle is there on startup and invites you to quit if it isn't.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=156335&postcount=9

JML
06-30-2005, 05:15 PM
There's a plugin which checks to see if the dongle is there on startup and invites you to quit if it isn't.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=156335&postcount=9

excellent , I will let them know , thanks a lot

joeldberry
07-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Uh... doesn't it say "Discovery Edition" in the titlebar when you run it without the dongle?

Weetos
07-01-2005, 07:56 AM
yeah it does, but who pays attention to that? you generaly notice that you are running in discovery mode when it's ... too late :mad:

Thanks for the plugin, Dodgy ;)

joeldberry
07-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I guess I am too much a visual person, because I notice little things like that all the time -- My mind "remembers" what the interface should look like, and when the slightest thing (like the title being a little "too long") is out of place, well... it can be distracting at times, but that's how I noticed that it does actually let you know you are in discovery mode...

And yes, it's not the perfect solution because it's easy to overlook if you're not screwed up like I am ;)

Perhaps changing the color of the titlebar or something more jarring. But then again, just popping up a dialog box would do it, too :D

hrgiger
07-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I agree with Weetos, I usually don't notice if I've started without the dongle attached. It's only the first time I try to run that save that I notice.

Ron Schatz
07-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes I see that lots of us users have done it, work in discovery mode without knowing it, until we go to save.
If you place an info warning window, like the one attached, when Discovery Edition starts
it would a great place to so off Newtek's latest Copyrights and Trademarks to true demo users, also to tell (no scream) to vetetran lightwave users to check their ________ dongles are plugin properly, or to home and get it.

Weetos
07-12-2005, 02:20 PM
:i_agree:

Brilliant Idea, Ron !

Silkrooster
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM
I think Ron's idea is excellent. As I am starting to see threads by newbies that have a demo version and think they have the full version and can't figure out why they get an arror saving or the render has the checkerboard. So I beleive that the notice should also have a link to the website giving details on how to purchase the full version.
Silk