PDA

View Full Version : newtek show reel?

robles
06-29-2005, 11:32 PM
hi, is there a show reel of newtek? if so, where can I find it? 'cause I saw the reels of discreet, alias, softimage...but newtek :confused: ???

cheers!

Silkrooster
06-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Look at the top of your screen where it says community and select NewTek TV.
You can also go to http://newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw-gallery/index.php?cat=2 and http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw-gallery/videos/index.html
Hope this helps
Silk

iaef
06-30-2005, 06:44 AM
I have been trying to use newtek.tv and it never works... it all says is "connecting..." tried both buttons at the bottom of the TV and one takes me to newtek home page and the other one reloads the page. I was hoping that it would work some day, since there seems to be interesting stuff in there. :mad:

WizCraker
06-30-2005, 05:45 PM
They should use flash video for this type of thing. Makes it more accessable for those of us that can not see streamed video files.

Kurtis
06-30-2005, 07:38 PM
We're very active at the moment on the project of recruiting materials for a fully distributable reel - most of the time the permissions we receive are from the VFX or animation house that created the work, as opposed to the studios that commissioned and own the work. We're concentrating on getting those studio permissions this year, so we can put together a reel that we can share not only at the show, but on DVD, NewTekTV, etc.

Please follow this thread for more information:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37884

Brian Arndt
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
anyone seen a tutorial on integrating live streams into flash?
I have just recently seen sites start doing this.
If so please post a link!

Kurtis
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
For those interested, we have managed to come up with a complete set of clean videos that we are allowed to rebroadcast from last year's SIGGRAPH stream. We are in the process now of chopping them up for download from the site. These clips have not been edited from their original broadcast, other than logical starting and stopping points. The first one, Dick Van Dyke, has already been posted, and more will be coming in the remaining weeks leading up to SIGGRAPH.

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2004.php

lardbros
07-01-2005, 05:23 PM
I had a showreel of Lightwave with a magazine cover disc (Computer Arts, a long time before 3dworld was available) and it's brilliant!!!

It has some lovely clips from Alien Resurrection and a guy with his skin peeling off in very windy place i guess!? :D Plus loads of other nifty bits from adverts like the M & Ms one. :D The stuff on the vid doesn't look out of place now, and it's probably 6 or 7 years on! (i think).

It was this video that whet my appetite for LW even more, so hope we can see a new one on a mags cover disc in the near future!?

PS I tried viewing that Dick Van Dyke video, but only got sound with it... im on a 56k dialup but i have never had problems with streaming video before. Is there something special i need to view them?

Kurtis
07-01-2005, 06:25 PM
lardbros,

It's been tested streaming on several computers with Windows Media Player 9 without problem. Which version of Windows Media Player do you have?

Alternatively, the link is directly to the video file. You are welcome to right-click on the clip and download it for viewing from your own computer, which is how we actually had envisioned people using them.

I don't know about including it with magazines, but as I mentioned above, we are working on a DVD version that you'll be able to call in and request at no charge.

lardbros
07-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks for replying Kurtis!

I have media player 10 (which seems a bit shoddy to me). Is it worth reverting to media player 9?

Also, when i right click the link to the Dick Van Dyke video from last year, and try to save target as.. all i get is:

"Download could not complete" "DvD.wmv from streamer.newtek.com"

Hmmm, quite annoying!

Is it my problem or something with the server?

Many thanks! :D

Doobywho
07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Brian - if you need assistance w/ streaming video in flash just contact me and i'll give you a hand.

Kurtis
07-02-2005, 02:14 PM
lardbros,

Don't have any experience with WMP10, so I'm not sure.

Let me talk to Brian when we all return to the office Tuesday, and see what we can come up with. Maybe we just need to post ZIP files to an alternate location.

Silkrooster
07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I have version 10 of the player and the video stream plays fine. But then I am on broadband.
I really enjoyed seeing Dick Van Dyke, now I wish I was there to shake his hand as well. Not to mention all the excellent gifts that were handed out. Way to go Newtek. Excellent PR in my opinion. :D
I wonder if Dick Van Dyke would be willing to allow Newtek to show his work on Newtek TV or the show reel.
Silk

Kurtis
07-07-2005, 11:56 AM
19 more videos posted today:
http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/2004.php

The direct links to the files themselves may change by the end of the day tomorrow. We will be moving them to a new location where we can post both streaming and downloadable versions. So, please use the links in the page above to access the files between now and then.

Cageman
07-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Nice!

But only the following files were avaliable for download:

Dick Van Dyke
Charles Meyer
Chris Short
DAZ / Mimic
Don McCoy
Eden FX
Zoic Studios

The rest gives me an error telling me the files were not found. :(

Brian Arndt
07-12-2005, 08:29 AM
somehow someone deleted them from the FTP. Sorry about the inconvenience. Im re-uploading them as we speak.

Silkrooster
07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
When your logged in through ftp, you should beable to just select the file(s) then hit the delete key on your keyboard.

Edit: I would make sure the software is not referencing them before you delete them. As I do not know what kind of error handling is in the software.
Silk

Silkrooster
07-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Oops, Boy did I ever read your post wrong. :o I thought you wanted to know how to delete from the ftp. Sorry about that.
Silk