PDA

View Full Version : Question about IK

AngelDream
06-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone, I've a question about ik. I've modeled a cable, and rigged it with some bones connected by ik. The thing is that they only bend on the pitch axis, and if, for instance, I want to make them bend over the pitch, and then bend again on the heading axis, keeping the base point fixed, they don't. How should I do this? I'm using the old style ik system, not the IKB, should I give it a try? Thanks in advance.

Dodgy
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Have you enabled Ik on the heading channels in the motion panel?

SplineGod
06-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Setup IK in the pitch and heading channels. I have a rig on my site that will give you a good idea on how to do it. I would also take a look at using IKBoost which works great on long IK chains. You can also just animate the bones using simple selection sets and FK.
BTW I spent some time in Carlos Paz a few years ago :)

AngelDream
06-30-2005, 06:46 PM
I've IK on both heading and bank channels, but, after some reading, maybe my problem is the gimbal lock???
About IKB, I've been trying to animate my character using it, but it seems overwhelming trying to learn a different animation system since I've to deliver it soon. The videos included on the LW 3rd party aren't too in-depth about IKB, and I've had some hard time keyframing and preventing bone slides.
I've posted a still, the character is Aiko 3LE from DazStudio, I only modeled the boots and surfaced the body.
Larry, Carlos Paz is quite near from where I live, I often go on weekends to the lake, to the Jockey Club, some kind of social club. If you ever want to come over, let me know!!
Thanks for the answers, I'll check out your rig.

SplineGod
06-30-2005, 07:00 PM
You can select all your bones at the same time and change the IK settings at once. Normally in a chain like that you would apply IK to pitch and heading only.

I actually spent time in Cordoba/Carlos Paz, Tucuman, Jujuy and Mendoza. I was down there for a couple of years. Beautiful country! :)