PDA

View Full Version : How to render a sequence using "Render selected object"

OcatilloPicture
06-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I have a scene that I would like to render as separate selected elements.

Specifically, I have a "mirrored" polygon that I want to render separately from the objects sitting on it... but I still want the "Mirror" to reflect the other objects in the scene.

There must be a way to render a sequence using something like "Render selected object" where you can choose to render only a single object but it is still affected by all the other objects in a scene.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

cgbloke2004
06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
set surfaces on all other objects as constant alpha value of 0 [just open all surface trees, shift+select all surfaces]
[i render from lw rather than use screamernet on this]
leave selected object as is..
save images as 32bit [lw_targa usually..]

Surrealist.
06-29-2005, 12:28 AM
I'd swear I'd read something like that. But I know to exlude items from a scene's render all you have to do is deselect them in the scene editor under the A there is a checkmark for each item. For objects it removes them from the render. For bones they are activated, lights on and off and so on.

(Also another alternative depending on how you are going to work is to slelect matte object from the properties pannel this will create a matt for it in the chosen color.)

Any objects you want in a mirror but not in the secene, go to the object properties pannel and select unseen by camera.

It will reflect in the mirror bot not show up in the camera. On the reverse you could have it in the camera but not in the mirror even if other objects are.

To do this you would then select unseen by rays.

As for compositing you'd probably have to also do some kind of matting technique as in the earlier post or above here

Examples of the reflection below:

cgbloke2004
06-29-2005, 03:19 AM
yep, i think mine was the 'oldskool' method :)

i wasnt at work to check out lw when i typed that one and forgot about the 'newer' ways of doing stuff..

OcatilloPicture
06-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi. Thank you both for your responses...with pictures even! I found a temporary work around of simply making the reflective polygon 100% transparent but 100% reflective. The scene renders with mattes for the reflected objects but nothing for the "mirror". Inverting the alpha in AfterEffects lets me affect the reflection independently of the objects.

Sort of like CGBloke's idea, just lots funky-er.

I am certain that I will be using your ideas for the other 20 similar shots!

Thanks again.

Terry

PS. I gotta get a real printed manual!

Surrealist.
06-29-2005, 12:03 PM
PS. I gotta get a real printed manual!

Well, good I hope you get some use of these ideas. Also I use the PDF manual and to let you know after reading it, though it is an invaluable rescource for a good deal of information, I would not waste any money on the preinted one. Just something to chew on before you pull out the credit card. I would suggest downloading if you don't have the PDF version. It really is quite handy and actaully quicker to find things than the printed version.

yep, i think mine was the 'oldskool' method

i wasnt at work to check out lw when i typed that one and forgot about the 'newer' ways of doing stuff..

Old school is good man. I am a big old school fan because sometimes the newer ways of doing things get bugged or are simply not as flexible or well, just are broken in the current version. And as you can see it was a help anyway. It's all good. :)

(And confidentially I've been out of it so long that I did not even know your method was old school :rolleyes: )

Surrealist.
06-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Testing something...sorry