PDA

View Full Version : Backlighting Plexiglass?

StuTalon
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi folks, new to LW and looking for some guidance. Trying to mimic the effect of a large backlit lightbox with a logo on the surface. My question is what is the best way to achieve the backlit effect as the plexiglass is that milky-white you see on a standard lightbox and the logo is red - what are good settings for the plexi and light behind it (or do I use glow on the plexi instead?) and do I alpha out the logo, or is there a better way to apply the logo to the plexiglass?

Thanks!

Stu :)

Surrealist.
06-28-2005, 05:46 PM
If you apply luminosity and some amount of glow to the surface of the plexi glass, you will probably get the effect you are looking for. The logo of course, I assume you are going to stencil, would be another surface but you could apply the basic settings to it that you would to the plexiglass surface then adjust from there.

Just remember that there are two placs to trun on glow. Effects Processing tab (Windows/Image Precessing) and in the advanced tab of the surface editor.

Other than that you might experiment with translucence.

Picture is just a lame starting point but you get the idea. Some other guys might have some better ideas and or more specific settings to get a nice effect.

EDIT: Second picture is with some trans and a red logo. (the box is doublesided and is of course black which effects the color of the transparency.

You could also expiriment with the inside color of the box, actually lighting it from behind with transparency and so on.

But glow and luminosity is a quick and dirty way.

StuTalon
06-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks Surrealist, my problem was not having glow turned on in the effects processing tab....I used your settings and it looks great, I just had to adjust the glow distance for the model size. I'll post a pic once I get the lighting cleaned up.

-Stu

Surrealist.
06-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Cool please do. Like to see it!

Oh and also check out this thread that popped up. It has to do with applying light through the thickness of an object such as candle using a luminosity gradient. You might find somew usefull things there.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=32248