PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to Flay?

Lottmedia
06-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Anyone know that's going on with Flay.com? The past few months updates have all but stopped and now I see that some sections are closing (job postings) Anyone have any information on what's going on? Is it going the way of preset central?

J-Rod

MentalFish
06-28-2005, 07:19 AM
I think it is time NewTek take over the handling of all plugins and make a central database for both commercial and freeware plugins. They should also add functionality for a one click installation of plugins in LW (such as how skins are installed in WinAmp)

Lude
06-28-2005, 07:44 AM
i'll secound that!

JamesCurtis
06-28-2005, 07:54 AM
He said that his new job was taking a toll on his time to handle the site. I for one am dissapointed because I frequently used the job postings section since it dealt mainly with LW jobs. And I did use the News section for Plugin updates. Hopefully he will be able to get things going again. There were only 2 items in the news section this morning and it's looking sparse.

Ben_Chapé
06-29-2005, 10:48 AM
yeah, too bad...

managing a site takes a really big amount of time .

mmm, but some good news are coming too ;)

we're working on new presetcentral version :p
so we had a look on this topic with a lot of interest.
For now, we got a nice 'to do list' but you're all welcome to bring ideas or feature request.

we will ask for user participation to rebuild the database too, after the server hack, all was crushed...

a temp blog is online on Presetcentral (http://www.presetcentral.com)
it's now a good way to keep everyone in touch on how the project goes.

ps : we're also looking for a c++ plugin coder for a secret projet :D

gjjackson
06-30-2005, 06:14 AM
I had downloaded a bunch of the files from there. I don't remember where I put them. I had a hard drive failure a while back so I'd have to go through a ton of discs to try and find them. I'll be gone the next week so I'll have to check when I get back.

Lottmedia
06-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Ben, great to hear. We really need something like that around. Anything we (or I) can do let us know, I think everyone will gladly throw in.

J-Rod

riki
06-30-2005, 07:59 PM
A site like Flay would take a lot of work to maintain. I wouldn't be so quick to put the boot in. Newtek's time and energy would be better spent developing the APP than duplicating work already done on other sites. Maybe Ben (I think from Flay) could think about taking onboard a few volunteers to help easy the load.

It's great news to hear that Preset Central is on it's way back. Just one small request, pleaseeee keep it simple. The last version was virtually unusable on my Mac, I had to surf the site without images in Mac IE and download the Presets in Netscape. I couldn't view the site at all in Netscape and couldn't download anything in IE. I think that was back in the OS9 days, so things might be different now. I just remember having a lot of problems with it.

benhaines
07-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Sure, I'll ensure its Mac friendly ;)

To stay on topic, do we really have it on good authority what is going on? Flay.com says the jobs section is down temporarily.

Ben (from presetcentral.com, not flay.com) :)

riki
07-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Flay's looking pretty grimm at the moment.

WilliamVaughan
07-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I think it is time NewTek take over the handling of all plugins and make a central database for both commercial and freeware plugins. They should also add functionality for a one click installation of plugins in LW (such as how skins are installed in WinAmp)

I hope NewTeknever does this. Some people would hold NewTek responsible for any and all 3rd party plugins....it really needs to be an offsite , 3rd party handling them....Flay is a perfect place for this. He will get caught up and all will be back to normal...you'll see

WilliamVaughan
07-02-2005, 09:26 PM
some of you might find this interesting:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6676

LAV
07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I hope NewTeknever does this. Some people would hold NewTek responsible for any and all 3rd party plugins....
I definitely agree in that. Developers just need that NT care it's SDK a lot.

Intuition
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
I miss Flay!

Its like a drug for plug in junkies.

Gimme back my fix!

:D

Well, hope everything turns out good guys.

Imatk
07-08-2005, 04:04 PM
You junkie :p

Flay
07-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Flay'll be back on track soon. I got my *** kicked on back-to-back cee-gee projects and just didn't have the time to concentrate on it. This has happened before, during my move to Germany there were no posts up for a month.

I kicked the job section as it was getting out of control for the amount of time I will have free shortly. I plan to "automate" it as, under the present system, it takes a lot of time to get a post in shape and link it in. And when you start getting up to several per day, it's time to rethink things.

I'm taking a well deserved weekend and will start slogging through my enormously backlogged inbox on Monday or Tuesday as I've got some time off.

Sorry for the hiccup folks, but it's my family first, my work as an artist second and Flay's gotta follow that up. I've been doing it for almost 10 years now and don't plan to stop. God, it's really been that long. I even had hair then...

Christopher "Flay" Stewart

MooseDog
07-09-2005, 12:21 AM
VERY cool update. thx a ton :boogiedow

riki
07-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Hey thanks for all you work Chris, is this really your first post here ??

toby
07-09-2005, 01:37 AM
:bowdown:
------------------

Hoopti
07-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Don't know what the community would do without you Flay. Really appreciate all the hard work you put in.

Hoop

Intuition
07-09-2005, 10:44 AM
You junkie :p

:confused: Who me?

Yes, I am a regular at PIA. Plug-In Anonymous.

Since I don't have mad skills like you Jamie, I have to resort to the 3d worlds equivelent of steroids.

They are so good. Got some F-Prime? :cool:

Its primo stuff.

Flay
07-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Yep, my first post. I seldom frequent forums, much preferring the "mailing list" format which pushes information to me. Maybe just old school I guess...

Thanks for all the support here and in my inbox folks, it's appreciated

Flay

JVitale
07-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Keep up the great work Chris and I hope to meet you at Siggraph THIS time... :D

CB_3D
07-12-2005, 08:05 PM
keep it up. Flay saved my butt dozens of times!

UnCommonGrafx
07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Gotta chime in here...

Christopher, thank you immensely for all you do. It is MOST appreciated!

Cman
07-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Gotta chime in here...

Christopher, thank you immensely for all you do. It is MOST appreciated!

Gotta 2nd that one. :thumbsup:

kfiram
07-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Hey there Christopher.
Just wanted to let you in on what I always tell my students:
"The best and most important feature in LightWave is called flay.com".

We love you!