PDA

View Full Version : Need advice !

taproot2
06-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Hello! I'm at the stage in my LW activities where I'm begining to look at packages for compositing and final outputting to video( A.K.A. Demo reel production and such). I have a G5 with 2gig ram and dual 2.5 with nvidia 6800. I also have extensive access to Real good MIDI equipment for pulling in sound. I've looked at Final Cut and it seems ok but would like to have input from the LW community to help me make a good decision. I would need a package that can stitch existing video, image sequences and sound into a final product. So, any thoughts?
Taproot2
www.provinestudios.com

Ge4-ce
06-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Depends on what you really want to do actually.

I think the Apple Production suite is the best option for you. It's a really good value for money. It contains:

Final Cut Pro: "The" app for editing video or film for all kinds of use. Easy to use, stable as a concrete wall, my favorite app. ready for HD and contains all new technologies.

DVD studio pro: The tool for making DVD's. Also good value, easy to use and a lot of possibilities.

Motion: Motion graphics app for putting together images, video, FX and titles that you can't do with FCP. it is possible to import motion scenes in FCP. Unrendered!

LiveType: for types and fonts on video

Compressor: well.. what it says: compresses to every format you want. For DVD mainly.

Cinematools: some tool for editing 24f/s film. no video. never used it.
Soundtrack: app for putting and controling multiple soundtracks on a videotrack. also full of soundloops and I think it also has midi capabilities.

Quicktime Pro: the pro version of the standard. More options, export, fullscreen, save,....

Ok. You can do a lot with this. and you can do it for only $ 1299 !

But you also mentioned compositing. If you really want to do some difficult compositing with you 3D render output, like post - 3D effects like fog, glow, depth of field, and you want to put together 20 layers per frame separated renders for the highlights, the shadows, the diffuse, .... you need SHAKE. no real other option here. But it's pretty difficult to learn in the beginning. But it's worth a lot in the end. Pretty expensive as well.

There are inbetween options here as well. You have Combustion from discreet.com and offcourse Adobe AfterFX . Wich give you a lot of Motion and a bit of SHake.

Hope this was helpfull

Ge4-ce

Nigel Baker
06-28-2005, 04:25 AM
The Apple Droduction Suite is a fantastic collection of great software.
if money is an issue well your machine has iMove and iDVD and then thewre is also Quicktime Pro 7 WOW

Nigel Baker
06-28-2005, 04:26 AM
The Apple Production Suite is a fantastic collection of great software.
if money is an issue well your machine has iMove and iDVD and then thewre is also Quicktime Pro 7 WOW

Apologies for the DOUBLE DOUBLE posting

taproot2
07-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Ok...I did the deed... I have Final Cut Pro. I had no Idea weaving together my LW clips would be so straight forward. Again Thanks for the tips!taproot2
www.provinestudios.com

pdrake
07-07-2005, 06:51 PM
i have final cut, dvd studio (still learning that, any tips anyone?) and after effects. well, all the goodies that came with final cut, too. live type, compressor, soundtrack and something else, i think. that's pretty nice so far. i recently add a piece of equipment that i have to highly recommend. a nice cinema display. i got the 23", and can't believe the difference. it makes working a joy, now.