PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp – handy for level design with structures?

somnambulance
06-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Anyone ever heard of it or used it or know of anyone using it?

Here is a link ( http://www.sketchup.com/), it is for both PC and Mac

Somehow I saw it while scanning the internet. I watched the video and it made it look so easy… I downloaded the demo and found out that it is so easy. I picked it up and made the image below within 45 min of downloading it. I had already had the sketch for the level done but it was incredibly easy to lay it down and start putting structures up. I was pretty excited about how quick and easy it was to layout buildings. So I went to their website expecting the price tag to be somewhere from $100-$200 but it is $500, single end or network. Too much for me to spend, but I could see where it would come in VERY handy.

Hoopti
06-27-2005, 12:28 AM
It does look sweet, but I agree, that candy's too pricey for me too.

Hoop

iaef
06-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I have played a while with it, and though it requires new workflow skills, it accelerates certain kinds of modelling. I believe that Rhino3D is more interesting to make this kind of constructive modelling, but certain features of SketchUp make it an interesting tool to use.

Nice finding!

Lamont
06-28-2005, 01:57 AM
That does look really cool. I don't know how detailed it can get, but for blocking out levels, I just use graph-paper.

somnambulance
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I use graph paper too, for complex 3D I started taping transparencies on one side so you could flip throuch the elevations. SketchUp really is what it says it is, sketching in 3d. You cant really get detailed, but you can figure layout with shodows and elevation accurately where you cant on graph paper.

ddho1981
06-28-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't do game design, but i am an architecture student and have been using Sketchup with Lightwave for the past couple of years. My personal experience with it has been extremely positive and for most of the type of work I do, my output is the fastest with this software hands down. No, I don't work for @last, but I've been an advocate of their program for sometime. It definately requires a different sort of work flow/methodology to get the hang of it though. But once you get an understanding of how it works, you can fly through just about any architectural project. My web-portfolio consists of 95% Sketchup>Lightwave work. http://www.yestudio.net

-Duy

jm_smt
04-18-2006, 11:12 AM
It's $20 now that Google bought it!

Lamont
04-18-2006, 11:43 AM
No, it's still $500.

howardt
04-27-2006, 06:26 AM
There's now a free version, pc only (mac coming soon):

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

Tzan
04-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Looks like fun. Thanks for the link.

somnambulance
05-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, totally free now! :thumbsup:

pauland
05-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, totally free now! :thumbsup:

It's only totally free for non-commercial use. The Pro version has more rendering and export options and costs $$$.