PDA

View Full Version : Corvette commercial

toby
06-25-2005, 10:47 PM
This was a comercial done with Lightwave, which aired during the Olympics last year and was pulled after 4 days because it portrays a little boy driving recklessly through New York - so I figure a lot of you probably haven't seen it.

http://www.tobygaines.com/Corvette.mov.zip

harlan
06-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Yes, this was great spot. I saw it when it first aired, and was pissed when they pulled it. People can be so ignorant.

Lukesutherland
06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
ah cool, I live in UK saw definately never seen it.

you do have to wonder though how it ever maybe it past concept stage, that ad breaks so many of our advertising standards rules it's not funny, that is not even including the kid aspect

Carm3D
06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
That was so cute!! Great job! :D

marble_sheep
06-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing it when it aired... I thought it was awesome... great concept. And it was pulled?? Ugh... yay for our overly P-C sensitive society :rolleyes:

Did you work on this one, Toby?

Jim_C
06-28-2005, 02:05 PM
that ad breaks so many of our advertising standards rules it's not funny, that is not even including the kid aspect

Hey Luke,

Just wondering which ad standards?

Lukesutherland
06-28-2005, 02:30 PM
first thing would be driving style, you are allowed to depict high-speed but only on a private road and you would have to say under controlled conditions, the city scene would be out - the jump wouldn't be allowed, I would expect most of the pipe stuff would be pretty unlikely as well.

i would imagine irresponsibility would be the overiding critisism :)

Lukesutherland
06-28-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/truth/default.asp?storyId=5585

the above is just one example of the types of laws that are over here.

toby
06-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Yea, I modeled, textured and lit the first 2 concrete pipe shots, animated the car inside the pipe, and a few other things here and there.

A friend of mine saw the commercial in a bar, where there happened to be two police officers watching too - apparently they were foaming at the mouth rattling off violation after violation :D

I have to guess that Chevy knew that they were taking a chance, but thought it was worth it for the exposure during the olympics and because they liked the spot so much. I think it cost them $3 million - and I'm betting that Guy Ritchie was a third of the cost.

Lukesutherland
06-28-2005, 02:54 PM
oh BTW toby, your stuff is great - I had a squizz at your reel the other day when you posted the disney stuff, all very cool!

toby
06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/truth/default.asp?storyId=5585

the above is just one example of the types of laws that are over here.

God**** that's strict!

Thank you Luke.

MonroePoteet
06-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I wonder if it'd still be on-air if they'd shown the boy dreaming/drooling at the *beginning*, squish-zoom him into the cockpit, and made the race sequence surreal (e.g. funky lighting or something).

mTp

P.S. Nice work, toby!

Jim_C
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
-------------------------------->

note: The above arrow has been banned by the ASA for implying speed and quickness. Please don't do it again.
Thank You
The Advertising Standards Authority

;)

hunter
06-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Looks like he's in better control than most of the drivers we have in So Cal. :D

harlan
06-29-2005, 02:24 AM
Looks like he's in better control than most of the drivers we have in So Cal. :D

No doubt!!! And he wasn't even on a cell-phone.

I see nothing wrong with this ad whatsoever, it clearly says that the kid is dreaming of driving the car - that's what little boys dream about (ie: fast cars, etc...)!

F#@k all this P.C. non-sense. GM should'a sued the living **** out of the ACLU or whoever prevented them from airing it. In the words of George Wallace: "This World is Sick!!" :)

dwburman
06-29-2005, 04:25 PM
wow... those ITC and ASA standards are worlds different from the way things are here in the US. Heck, over here the main word in Mazda's advertising has been "zoom".

Granted shot of cars driving almost always carry the caption "professional driver on a closed course". Performance cars are often shown in ways that give the impression of speed... heck, even pickup trucks are shown passing other vehicles :)

Lude
06-29-2005, 04:58 PM
--------------------------------> :D

Very good!