PDA

View Full Version : Help, How can you make an object follow the contours of another object

chrisnwms
06-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi, I'm trying to animate a jeep travelling along a bumpy road with hills. Is there a tool or cunning technique to ensure the jeep follows along and does not cut into the road without keyframing continually?

Thanks

Chris :)

Surrealist.
06-24-2005, 04:10 AM
There are others far more expreinced in this than I and you'll get some great responses.

From what I have been learning so far about dynamics - and I am just now digging into it - you could make the ground a colission object and apply a hard or soft dynamic to the tires and or the truck.

The biggest problem in this might be calculation. With Hard Body you could have it calulate by a sphere for the tires instead of the points for the tires and get a faster calulation.

There is also expressions and modifires that could do some things.

The best solution might be a combination of Keyframing (the truck itself) and all of the above.

Well that's as far as I'll venture. I am sure it is done all the time. Suffice to say someone will have an answer. In the mean time some things to look into.

Exper
06-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Vertigo plugin: http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1934

;)

chrisnwms
06-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys. I've just downloaded Vertigo. Will give it a go.

Regards

Chris :)

toby
06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
You could try making your bumpy road with a displacement map, then add a null to the scene and apply the 'textured filter' modifier to it's y channel in the graph editor. In the texture use the same map that you displaced the road with, set it to 'world coordinates' and it should follow the bumps in the road. Clone this null 3 times and use them for the wheels, and I'd keyframe the car since it has to pitch and roll, and doesn't have to be as accurate -