PDA

View Full Version : pivot point

trentonia
06-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I had one of my pivot points in the wrong place in my scene, so I switched to modeler and moved the pivot, went back to layout and the pivot point had not moved. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I know this used to work correctly in 7.5.

kfiram
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
It never worked - nor should it work - the way you describe.

Pivot point is scene dependent. If you load an object into Layout, it loads the pivot from modeler. But once it's there, Layout "takes over" and changes in Modeler are NOT updated in Layout.
The reason it works this way, is to allow you to change the pivot between scenes. Off course, you could alway reload the object, which would then load with Modeler's pivot intact.

toby
06-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't think that ever worked - a pivot in layout is created and saved in the scene when you bring in a model - it's not something that transfers back and forth between layout and modeler.

doh! jinx!

WCameron
06-23-2005, 05:51 PM
move the pivot point in modeler, save the object. back over in Layout, select the Move pivot point tool, and push the RESET button under the GENERAL button header (both on the MODIFY tab).

- Will.
(you dont actually have to save the object but it never hurts! well usually....)

trentonia
06-23-2005, 07:30 PM
WCameron, you are a freaking life-saver. I will erect a statue, in your honor, in the town square of the capital of Trentonia.

toby
06-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Never thought to try that! I'd just reload the model - that's a good shortcut.

WCameron
06-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Now ... if only it were In .. The .. Manual!

And I must insist any erected (ooh-err!) Likeness of me must be wearing bright pink boxershorts with yellow smileyfaces all over em!

- Will.

peter66
07-05-2005, 07:53 PM
legend, that helped me too! :)

bradenbickle
10-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know where the move pivot point tool went as of 8.3? I can't find it anywhere.

toby
10-17-2005, 11:16 PM
It took a while, but I found it in: View/Layers/Pivot

If it's not there, open Configure Menus, and look under Edit, click Pivot point tool and then Find. If you still don't find it, drag it from the left side of the Configure window to the right, into a menu where you want it.

When you can't find a tool, the Configure Menus/Keyboard shortcuts windows can be very helpful. There is a search function too, but your spelling has to be perfect.

locknload7
07-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you!
I've looked through a dozen threads, and this is the first to mention where the pivot tool wondered off to. Now I can finish the tutorial.

RTSchramm
09-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Am I correct in that an object can only have one pivot point? So if I want to create a model where several panels open, I would have to use bones to rotate them or use morphing, correct? Or save the panels as separate objects each with their own pivot points?

Rich

toby
09-15-2006, 03:01 PM
That's correct.

parm
09-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Am I correct in that an object can only have one pivot point? So if I want to create a model where several panels open, I would have to use bones to rotate them or use morphing, correct? Or save the panels as separate objects each with their own pivot points?

Rich

Well. Each moving part on it's own layer within the same object, that is.

Each layer of the object has it's own Pivot