PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave vs FPrime (advanced surfacing)

Meaty
06-23-2005, 10:06 AM
As part of a job I am working on, I noticed some pretty wild differences between Lightwave's renderer and FPrime. We've all seen subtle differences in the way the two renderers handle surface settings; in this case, the differences are rather large. This is not an attempt to knock FPrime (I love it and can't wait for more integration); I came across this phenomenon and wish to share my findings. My surface settings are listed below:

The afterburner object is two cylinders, one slightly smaller than the other.

Flame_outer:
Color: 208:96:28
Luminosity: (texture settings below)
Diffuse: 0
Transparency: (texture settings below)

Luminosity:
Layer Type: Gradient
Blend Mode: Normal
Opacity: 100%

Distance to Pivot
0m Value 500% Alpha 100%
9m Value 100% Alpha 100%

Transparency:
Layer Type: Gradient
Blend Mode: Additive

Distance to Pivot
0m Value 0% Alpha 100%
9m Value 100% Alpha 100%

---------------------------------
Layer Type: Procedural
Blend Mode: Normal
Texture Value: 100%
Frequencies: 6
Contrast: 0%
Small Power: 0.5
Scale: x 200mm y 300mm z 3m
Position: the texture moves along the Z axis at aprox .5 m/s
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flame_inner has the same surface settings except it is blue instead of orange.

Chazz
06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Which one is the Fprime render?

Meaty
06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
The top one is the FPrime render (the one that's messed up)

hunter
06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I wonder if it has to do with motion blur?

Meaty
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Naw - its not the motion blur (i see it in the normal F-Prime preview as well, which, as we know, does not render motion blur)

hrgiger
06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
You should notify Worley and include a link to this thread with your renders. I'd be curious as to what they would have to say. It's probably something they are already aware of. Perhaps there is a good reason for the discrepancy.

Meaty
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
posted the object for anyone who wants to play with it

www.deadpixelsociety.com/afterburners.lwo

Default scene settings will work, just make sure you have something other than a pure black background, and rotate the camera so you have a better angle.

Meaty
06-23-2005, 02:22 PM
A kind person at Worely found the gremlin! It was the Edge Transparency shader on the object! d'oh!

toby
06-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I've had some major differences too, like a comet that I was trying make, incidence angle transparency, in Fprime it would look like the LW render only for the first few passes, afterwhich it would fade away with each pass until it looked like a little ball of ice.

You can't really do advanced surfacing in one renderer if you're doing the final in a different renderer.

mattclary
06-24-2005, 10:17 AM
A kind person at Worely found the gremlin! It was the Edge Transparency shader on the object! d'oh!

Like I always say, those guys are awesome.