PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Rail extrude of a non-edge shape?

Pe6r0
06-22-2005, 04:10 PM
How to make a Rail extrude of a non-edge shape? Like a ball or a cube, basically the idea is for me to create a series of "dents" in which something would slide (like a gear mechanism).
I made a single dent and if it was in a straight line I would do a array. The problem is that it is a more eliptical shape. So I made the course it should go in a "curve" polygon in which I would apply the Rail Extrude.. Problem is that rail extrudes don't work like that :S

Can anybody help? (I'm sorry I can't explain the problem better... it's a bit strange... )

Will post pictures if I can :)

Last resort would be having to make it dent by dent but that's probably not the best option :S

Pe6r0
06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
http://fs7.deviantart.com/i/2005/173/5/5/lightwave_by_Absinto.jpg

Castius
06-22-2005, 04:40 PM
rail clone

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 04:48 PM
From what you have there is looks like you could clone it or aray it first assuming tiy want each cog to be the same.

then use some form of bending:

Modeler tools:
Bend Tool
Sline Guide

Layout tools : Curve Conform/ Surpent. Both in the Deform tab of the objects properties panel added in the Add Displacement dropdown.

In layout you could save transformed unless you want to animate it along the path in wich case Surpent would allow you to use a path wich you could set up along a circular curve from modeler saved as a path. For example this would allow the object to flow in a curved pattern as you mentioned.

Edit: Er yea, Rail Clone just saw the post. But to animate along that path, the above might be something to consider.

Pe6r0
06-22-2005, 05:03 PM
I had though about making it a array and then trying to conform it to the curve but I was looking for a more clear method... It's kind dificult to conform something in a huge curve (because you have to use lots of zoom and the point of origin is somewhere of screen - numeric pads wouldn't very well too because it's a eye's on job)

I keep getting a weird rotation with the rail clone but I'm sure it will work out... eventually :)

thx for the input ppl :)