PDA

View Full Version : Alphabetical Listings

tcoursey
06-22-2005, 03:46 PM
My request is that all lists be alphabetical. It seems that most are. But there are still a few that are not.

One that is still not listed alphabetically is the pull down for "currently loaded images" in the texture editor. You know the one thats just below the "Projection Type" This list still shows you the listing in the order they were loaded. Some of you may love the way that it lists, your most recent images grouped together. Let's compromise and have NT give us yet again an Option to have these listing in Alphabetical order. Maybe an option right there, or maybe under our general preferences....

Beleive me, when you ahve literaly hundreds of images loaded you want to quickly find something....your mind works best in ORDER!

Thanks for listening.

Panikos
06-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Yea, little improvements result in a major :D

Nemoid
06-23-2005, 01:54 AM
i'd like to have this for plugins lists too... :)

Dodgy
06-23-2005, 03:24 AM
And I'd like to see an option to have scene item lists all in hierarchical order, as that makes them so much easier to find something.

private
06-23-2005, 11:00 PM
I concur with everyone above here.

Exper
06-24-2005, 04:10 AM
Me too! :)

videobear
07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
The main Image Editor window is also not alphabetical. By default, it lists images in the order in which they were loaded.

If they were loaded in a batch, the second-order arrangement is alphabetical...but this should be the main default, or at least a user choice.

Zafar Iqbal
07-16-2005, 10:58 AM
A little thing that can do so much.. damage - i'm really fed up with the plug-in list (among others) not beeing alphabetical. You're looing the right place but it still takes ages to find what you need.

It's the small thing that either makes you love or hate an application.

Kvaalen
07-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Agreed. I'd also really like to be able to press a letter once the drop down list is open and that the selection goes to that letter.

papou
07-17-2005, 05:47 AM
hi all,

> "...I'd also really like to be able to press a letter once the drop down list is open and that the selection goes to that letter..."

i'm finishing a script to found plugins in the plugins listbox.
You can find them by typing some letter.
for both modeler and Layout.
a popup permit to re-select the 10 recent and most used plugins.
a info button permit to add comment to plugin too...

I hope to release it in sept/oct.

for alphabetical plugin lister only, there is one script by sean. You can found on flay.

I must agree for alphabetical list in image editor. This king of feature is really a workflow improvement. like per exemple, rename the layer in the surface editor....

Exper
07-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Fun never stop!

Do you really want lose the great pleasure of seaching through all un-ordered lists for an item that should be at the start but it's displayed at the end?

No please... NT must stick to its own 1980 habits! :D

riki
07-20-2005, 06:53 AM
Yeah that's a no-brainer, not something we should have to ask for.

JML
07-20-2005, 08:08 AM
yes and no...
I think it should be an option somewhere..

the thing I like about it right now is that when you load a new texture,
you know it's going to show up at the end of the list. you don't have to look for it.

but I understand that when you have a lot of texture, and don't load new ones, it might be very useful to have the list alphabetical.

quote from Kvaalen :
"Agreed. I'd also really like to be able to press a letter once the drop down list is open and that the selection goes to that letter."

that would be nice too.

tcoursey
07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Let's remember that NT may not have thought of everything, but us users who use it day in and day out can make the product better for everyone with constructive additions like this.

I def. think it should be an option, not a new way of sorting everything. The whole original way of doing it makes sense at one level, and yet alphebetical makes sense on a whole new level. I would like to see the option righ there on the panels, not in a global preferences. you might want to see it one way this time and yet another the next time your surfacing or whatever.

Let's hope that NT takes alot of these small things we see on the forums to heart. I agree it's sometimes the small things that make a huge difference!

Exper
07-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I'm agree that for Images listing: an option is better than the auto-ordering.
But I was thinking about plugin's lists too.

Oh please... don't tell me there's the Kevin plugin to order them: I already know! ;)

operation
07-23-2005, 05:30 PM
yes,
I agree (we need this feature in every item picker, plugin list, file requester, surface editor, etc... .. )

Cheers

Dodgy
07-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I think plugins are ordered by their filename... Which might not be their 'LW' description name...

Exper
07-27-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't see any difficulty in sorting by description name: it's something LW knows and can handle. ;)

Zafar Iqbal
07-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't see any difficulty in sorting by description name: it's something LW knows and can handle. ;)

You can add plugins after a relatively fresh LW install, and the sorting will work properly, yes. But after you have used LW (configured) for a while it stops doing this.