PDA

View Full Version : Sock The Monkey

Surrealist.
06-21-2005, 11:26 PM
OK I followed the instructions in the manual and no I am not more confused than when I started.

However I am at a loss. I can't find anyomore controls to click on to get it to work.

As far as I understand it I have it set up (just for a simple test) with three weightmaps:

Left Tip, Middle and Right Tip. The controllers are all active, weightmaps enabled.

The null you see - hwich by the way is set up as a bounding box but won't display that way - is the right tip controler.

When it moves nothing happens. The only null that does anything is the Left tip and it moves the whole object.

It has done this similar thing both times I tried to set it up. Only one controler moving the whole object the others, nothing.

OK, So what did I miss?

Either I suck or you can guess what I am going to name this plugin.

Axis3d
06-22-2005, 11:27 AM
From your screen grab, it looks as though you dont have anything selected as the Control Item. You need to select your null object from there.

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
From your screen grab, it looks as though you dont have anything selected as the Control Item. You need to select your null object from there.

Right tip is highlighted both in the Suck Monkey screen and in the viewport. It's the null that should be a bounding box.

The only other visable area you could be refering to is used to add items with the Add Relationship button not select them for control.

Do you wish to clarify?

I am dying to eat crow and give this pluggin its well deserved name - Sock Moneky. However, unless we get an answer, its to the bug report as Suck Monkey.

Axis3d
06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
It does seem like everything is set up right. Not sure why mine works and yours does not.

1. I loaded the object with weight maps.
2. Added a Null object.
3. Added the Sock Monkey plugin to the polygon object.
4. In the Relationship Setup tab:
5. Change Vertex Group Types to Weight Maps
6. Change Vertex Group to (your weightmap name)
7. Change Control Item to Null object
8. Click on Add Relationship

I did not need to check Use Weight Values on the Control Item tab. Everything just worked fine without that.

When I add the Sock Monkey plugin, it says LW_SockMonkey v0.7.
I am running on WindowsXP, LW 8.3.

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Strange. Thanks for testing it though. What I will do is copy your sequence and see what I get.

I was using the auto set up comand and it created nulls with the names of the wieghtmaps. I also tried assigning them manually but I did not try to just load a null as you have there.

I'll give it a shot.

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Ok got it to work that way but it does not work with auto set up comand. The nulls it creates wont deform the object.

Thanks again. I report it as a bug for those other controlls.

Silkrooster
06-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Ok, here is a quick question. Does it require multiple weight maps or just one?
I tried it with the auto set up and it did not work as well.
Silk

Surrealist.
06-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I don't know. Good question. If you mean the tool, it seems to be set up to use multiple weight maps by the examples in the manual. In my application I am simply going though all of the tools to learn how they work or in some cases don't. So at least until it is fixed I know what it will and won't do.

Axis3d
06-23-2005, 08:51 AM
I just tried Auto Setup Object and it worked fine.

All I did was:

1. Add SockMonkey plugin to objects with weight maps.
2. Under Relationship Setup tab:
3. Change Vertex Group Types to Weight Maps
4. Click Auto Setup Object.

Each of the nulls were automatically created using the names of the weight maps. Moving each null around moved the corresponding weight map on the model.

Dodgy
06-23-2005, 10:50 AM
My experience with this was it works perfectly with selection sets, but you have to have all points with weight maps if you want it to use weight maps... SO if you do an auto weight in modeler (where it calculates all the weight maps for you on all the points) it'll work okay, but if you have some points with no weight maps assigned, it is dodgy. I used this a long time ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but the problem is something along those lines...

Surrealist.
06-23-2005, 02:30 PM
I just tried Auto Setup Object and it worked fine.

All I did was:

1. Add SockMonkey plugin to objects with weight maps.
2. Under Relationship Setup tab:
3. Change Vertex Group Types to Weight Maps
4. Click Auto Setup Object.

Each of the nulls were automatically created using the names of the weight maps. Moving each null around moved the corresponding weight map on the model.

Exactly what I did and it does not work. I am on a PC in 8.3

Are you in 8.3? Mac or PC?

Surrealist.
06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
My experience with this was it works perfectly with selection sets, but you have to have all points with weight maps if you want it to use weight maps... SO if you do an auto weight in modeler (where it calculates all the weight maps for you on all the points) it'll work okay, but if you have some points with no weight maps assigned, it is dodgy. I used this a long time ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but the problem is something along those lines...

Thanks. I'll look into that too.

Axis3d
06-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Surrealist,

I am using LW 8.3 on a dual Xeon 3.2 PC.

Surrealist.
06-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Cool. OK. Well there you have it then. Could I use your sytem for a couple of days? :D

Axis3d
06-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Actually, I've never used Sock Monkey for anything in my jobs. It always seemed that you could do the same thing with bones. I guess the main difference is that with Sock Monkey, the controller is not parented to the object. With bones, it has to be. You cannot have a bone use the weight map of another object.

Sock Monkey might be good to use if you had a character step on a piece of gum. The character's foot could pull and tug on the gum as the other end of it stayed attached to the ground (the null controller).

Surrealist.
06-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Actually, I've never used Sock Monkey for anything in my jobs. It always seemed that you could do the same thing with bones. I guess the main difference is that with Sock Monkey, the controller is not parented to the object. With bones, it has to be. You cannot have a bone use the weight map of another object.

Sock Monkey might be good to use if you had a character step on a piece of gum. The character's foot could pull and tug on the gum as the other end of it stayed attached to the ground (the null controller).

Yea, I was just looking forward to being able top get it to work and then mess with it and see. I had about the same inclination but was very currious to see it work. Well it does setting it up manually on my systsem as you earlier suggested so thanks for the tip.