PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Newsletter - V2 N5

Kurtis
06-21-2005, 12:45 PM
The new issue of the LightWave Newsletter has been posted online at:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/newsletters/v2-n5

coremi
06-21-2005, 01:13 PM
hi, kurtis, thanx a lot. I like the free script, pretty handy, but to make it very very handy, can u please ask Karmacop to develop the script further, so we can have different way of selections like:

Ex: i select first poly, second is deselected and i select third also, and than the script will select poly in this order, with an unselected poly in between. The same thing with points, i can creat like a rule, tell the script that i want it to select every other second or third point. I saw this in other apllications so i know it can be done.

Thanx a lot anyway

digital verve
06-21-2005, 01:51 PM
These Lightwave Newsletters are a great idea. How about a free quarterly pdf LW magazine including tip/tricks, profiles and tutorials from the Lightwave community?
:)

Kurtis
06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
coremi,

I believe Karmacop is a member of this forum. I will point out your request to him.

digital verve,

We can only do so much. :p

Seriously, it sounds like a good idea. If we can figure out a way to put something like that into production, we'll let everyone know.

Karmacop
06-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey coremi, I'd like to do that as well as get it working in most cases, but it'll take a bit of time. I just finished my last uni exam today so I'll have some time to work on it, but I'll have to see how possible it is.

The problem with skipping polygons in a selection is that it means that it's bsically running the script multiple times. So if you skip 4 polys it'll need to do it 5 times. Then there is the problem of the two polygons not being in the same loop, which would take a fair while to find out and in the end just give you an error (that a loop can't be found).

I'm not sure how other programs do this. Maybe it's fast because they are native plugins, or maybe it's because they have data structures for loops, I'm not sure. So I'm not promising anything, but I'll try to do it for you coremi :)

Thanks for pointing me to the thread Kurtis :)

coremi
06-21-2005, 10:23 PM
hey Karmacop, thanx a lot for reply, if it's possible it is, if not, maybe when another Lighwave update will come, but if u already put an effort to do this, maybe it is possible to improve it this way, or other ways. Anyway thanx a lot for the script.

Gui Lo
06-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Karmacop,

The problem with skipping polygons in a selection is that it means that it's bsically running the script multiple times. So if you skip 4 polys it'll need to do it 5 times. Then there is the problem of the two polygons not being in the same loop, which would take a fair while to find out and in the end just give you an error (that a loop can't be found).

This may be helpful or not but here goes.
Is it possible to select the loop continuesly and then de-select those poly/points needed. In this way the poys/points used for de-selection are limited to the loop rather than the whole object.
Rather than an all in one script, a de-slection script could be written as a twin to your selectmore script.

Just a thought.

Gui Lo

Gui Lo
06-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Great newsletter and I'm really looking forward to the Sig'05 coverage. Being in Hong Kong I need to look at the screen with sleepy blurred eyes.

NewTek normally have some great stuff to see and learn so it looks like I'll have a more comfortable few days this year.

Thanks NewTek.

Karmacop
06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Coremi, I'll give it my best shot :)

Hmm, good idea Gui Lo. I've thought about a deselect script as well but I think that may be a bit harder, not that I've tried it.

The problem with skipping selections is figuring out where the loop is. At the moment my script checks if there is an edge shared between polygons. If there is then I just select the next polygon in that direction. So if this selection doesn't share an edge (as the skipping selection) I may have to just keep selecting in all 4 directions of the quad until I find the other selected polygon.