PDA

View Full Version : Chunky explosions? Shattering glass?

99sproth
04-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Im animating a fightscene for the intro to my game I've created.

I want to make it really high quality so i can also use it in my demo reel.

The fight consists of two guys in swat gear and gas masks fighting in an exploding building. Ive rigged the characters, planned the sequences. Scanned the textures and I'm ready to render....

but...

I need realistic explosions where things shrapnel. I want glass that shatters, and wood that splinters.

I've played around in hypervoxels and with particle animations but I think I'll need a plugin?

Do you know of any good plugin interfaces I could use??
or
Am I being far too ambitious? :confused:

Simo :p

Thanks in advance

Mylenium
04-27-2003, 11:35 AM
You could always try C4 or SG Explosion along with FI's Crack It!. Just don't expect anything to be too easy. Since they work as displacement plugins and have no real collision detection it will be tricky to get the interaction right.

Mylenium

HowardM
04-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Check this out (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...light=explosion) ...and search for other msgs from me here and on cgtalk....you can use PFX, MD, HVs, and C4 or SG_E2! :)

i dont think its too ambitious...just gonna take alot of computing power!

99sproth
04-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Wow I like those results alot! Thanks thats just what I was hoping for! you guys are great!

Just how much processing power? Im only running a 1ghz with 256 mb sdram, With INBUILT (shock horror) graphics.

My rendering times at the moment are about 30 mins per frame.:(

If the results are too big I might wait until I get my freelance work promised to me in the summer. Im gonna build a pc then (3-4ghz, 1024 mb ddr ram, geforce4 ti4800).

What % does it add to rendering time?

Cheers again!

simo

Rei
04-27-2003, 02:52 PM
If you want to splash out, get a

Quadro FX 2000 128 MB DDR 8xAGP a snip at 1099.
Also have more than one CPU.

HowardM
04-27-2003, 06:58 PM
I just meant that it takes a while to compute MD, PFX, etc..
.and most of the time you have to fake things (yes realistic simulations are fun and cool to watch but in the end a waste!)...
so you do things in layers if your computer cant handle it , then composite...
the bottom line is yes, you can do shattering glass and wood, but is it the end of the world (or will the audience notice) if every piece doesnt bounce and spin off the ground fully realistically?
if no, then you can do it with LW!
:)

99sproth
04-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Freelance don't pay that good (considering i cant find any!!!!)
...although I have drawn up a little plan incase I do win the lottery or god forbid... earn enough.

It goes a little sumthing like this:
Quadro FX 2000 (good idea rei!)
4gb ddrII ram
2 140gb SCSI drives
dual 3.06 ghz prcessors

:p
I can but dream!

Simo