PDA

View Full Version : Parenter?

j0SH
06-21-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm lookin for a plugin called parenter. I used this on lightwave 7.5 but i can't find it on lightwave 8.
Parenter lets you parent objects on specified keyframes. So you can parent and unparent during an animation.

evenflcw
06-21-2005, 06:28 AM
It should be under Motion Options>Add Modifier. If it's not, rescan your plugins folder or look for parenter.p .

j0SH
06-21-2005, 06:40 AM
ah yip thanks. got it

Axis3d
06-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately, it does not work as well as it should. The Polk plugins from Worley comes with a Parenter plugin that works exactly the way you think it should. I hope that Newtek can revisit this much needed plugin and update it a bit.

Surrealist.
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately, it does not work as well as it should. The Polk plugins from Worley comes with a Parenter plugin that works exactly the way you think it should. I hope that Newtek can revisit this much needed plugin and update it a bit.

Yes it "pops" to the new location. It is more of an absolute parenter tool. Glad I am not the only one...

To anyone who wants to chect this out:

To see the difference between Parenter and what it should do, set up a normal parenting thusly:

Set up a Null object going from extreme left to extreme right (on the X Axis)

Now set up a null with a similar distance going from front to back (-Z to +Z) so that the two make a kind of crossing pattern over a series of frames.

Now with parent in place selected (options panel) parent one null to the other and play the scene.

The child null will only be influenced in is path by the other object and you' get kind of a diagonal action as it is "influenced" off it's path by the parent. Actually it is still moving but also moving in the direction of the parent

Now unparent and run parenter on that object and see what you get. Parenter completely takes over the motion. If you select keep initial positon it will keep the start point intact and then take over the motion from there.

After you do this then watch this video and look closely. You actually see the object divert directly off it's path rather than smoothly.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/p2_web.mov

Now under this type of aplication it is not as noticable. But it has limited use.

Now also of note is the Constrain tools located in the same place under add modifiers in the Motions Options panel.

You can do the same kind of thing as Parenter but with more options. Orient Type constraints/affectors take care of rotaions and the Point type handle position. You can parent this way and only affect certain chanels if you like also you can add more than one (for rot and pos) and get the same thing as parenter but with more predictable initial motions - much like a normal parent/child relationship. You can also controll the percentage of influence but it will still pop in drastic differences between parent motions.

To test this out add a third null to the scene and move it in the opposite direction as the first X null. Use this to test what happens when you switch bnteween the two with the Znull as the child.

So in any case those Worely plugins sound good.

There might be some other LW features/tricks I am not aware of yet to do this. Expressions certainly comes to mind.

What I would be looking for is a way to switch parents even on a drasitc difference between parent motions.