PDA

View Full Version : Asigning bones

chemaelizondo
06-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi guys.

Im trying to assign a set of skelegons to a certain humanoid figure Ive created.

In the year or so that Ive been working with LW this task has been accomplished merely out of luck, every single time!

I prefer to have the bones in modeler in a diferent layer, that way is easier to keep things organized.

From several manuals and guides this is what Ive (miss)understood.

In Modeler:
1) Create the main model in layer 1 and assign the propper weight maps to each diferent part of the model
2) Create the bones in layer 2

In Layout:
1)go to layer 2, and convert bones to skelegons
2)in the bone properties pannel, go through the bones one by one asigning the predetermined weightmaps to the newly created skelegons.
3)Select layer 1 (the layer with the model) and then click on the bones button from the bottom menu, go into bones properties and into USE BONES FROM OBJECT, and select layer 1.

Voila!!

Well... not quite!
Sometimes it works some times it doesnt, and I dont know why.
As I mentioned earlier, since forever it has been a matter of blind luck for me.
I havent been able to find the logic behind this function.

And at the moment I havent been able to get it to work on this model that Im currently working on.

Can anybody explain this to me?

Thanks in advance.

JM :D

Dodgy
06-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Well for a start you should be setting 'Use bones from' to layer 2 since that is where your bones are. But that is about right.

To be honest, I try not to use weightmaps (unless I'm limiting the influence of a particular bone (which means turning 'Use weight map only' and 'normalise weights' off)) since I can then use those bones on multiple layers and not worry about weighting those layers too. 99% of the time I can get away with using hold bones.

chemaelizondo
06-20-2005, 03:09 PM
:eek:

Errr... what?? You can actually use bones with out having to assign weight maps all over the place????????
God!!!

What did you mean by "hold bones"?

Thanks

JM :o

Surrealist.
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
One other thing is that if you are not planning to use the same bones in multiple layers modify your set up as follows to speed things up and to get more accuracy.

Create/name skellegons first.

Copy and paste into layer with mesh

Use the Bone Weights tool to automatically create the wieght maps with a value of 0. This will create weightmaps with names that corespond to the names of the bones.

Now some of the weightmaps may have no influence due to being assigned to bones that don't deform the mesh, such as bones that are merely there to position other bones etc. This depends on your rigging technique.

Then assign points and values to your weightmaps.

In Layout, Simply load the object and then run convert skellegons command and all of the wieghtmaps will be automatically assigned to bones because they have the same names.

Now this is assuming you still want to to use maps for every bone.

There seems to be a few schools of thought here whether to use weightmaps for every bone or not and so on. Everybody has their own way of working and I am sure each is valid in its own right.

I was taught the boneweight method but am totally open to trying other things. But if you use this method the above workfow is a little more streamlined.

I got this from Timothy Albee's Character Animatiuon and have found it workable.

toby
06-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Dodgy's right, you can frequently get away without doing any weight maps, or just using a few simple ones.

Dodgy
06-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Basically you put in your bones for moving your mesh around at the joints, then add more bones for keeping volume. Most of my skeletons have less than 100 bones, and since there's 40 in the hands, that's not very many.