PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.3 on MAC OSX Tiger Is it buggy?

willconn
06-19-2005, 03:35 PM
New user of LW seeks wise MAC Master to offer insight(s) to what I think are bugs with LW 8.3 on Tiger.

Current problem is CLONE HIERARCHY button produces ERROR MESSAGE "Cannot load external plug-in file <PowerChuck:Applications:Lightwave [8]: plugins:lscripts:utility:Generic:Clonehierarchy.ls>."

I've checked my hard drive to make sure this file is there, and it indeed is. The odd bit is that the file name "PowerChuck" seems unusual, as my Hard Drive is not called that ("iMac G5" is the drive name).

When I double check the file hierarchy, it reads "Where: /Applications/Lightwave [8]/
plugins/lscripts/utility/generic/clonehierarchy.ls" I'm guessing (and again, I'm just starting out with LW) that there's some preferences folder that is amiss, and LW is looking for my laptop (PowerChuck) hard drive for some reason.

Any thoughts or wise words?

Willconn

willconn
06-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I've continued experimenting and as I suspected, LW is looking for my files in a hard drive from another machine (PowerChuck), not "iMac G5".

I've reset the CONTENT DIRECTORY to where my files are currently located, but LW is still searching for the "PowerChuck" folder.

Any ideas how I can "eductate" LW to be looking in the right place?

I also tried changing the name on my iMac G5 hard drive to read "PowerChuck" and the clonehierarchy.ls plugin file loads fine when I've done that. Of course this causes all the other plugins to not load. So again, I need to reset LW somehow so it knows where to be looking.

Thanks,

Willconn

Captain Obvious
06-19-2005, 04:44 PM
I can't say I've encountered any bugs in 8.2.1 that weren't there in Panther, other than USB Overdrive not working properly.

toby
06-20-2005, 03:47 AM
I've continued experimenting and as I suspected, LW is looking for my files in a hard drive from another machine (PowerChuck), not "iMac G5".

I've reset the CONTENT DIRECTORY to where my files are currently located, but LW is still searching for the "PowerChuck" folder.

Any ideas how I can "eductate" LW to be looking in the right place?

Thanks,

Willconn
If you open the plug-in editor (alt-F11), hit 'add plug-in' and browse to the location of the plug-in, that will fix it. Quit LW to save the new path in the preference file.

royL
06-22-2005, 03:02 PM
I've faced a very similar problem a few times, what I did is open the Layout and Modeler comandlines and delete whatever is in them and save them empty.

The apps will rewrite new data on them

BeeVee
06-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Sometimes LightWave can get instable because of conflicts in the configs, especially when you've installed an update but left the old configs in place. The best solution is to delete the ones you have and start afresh. Do this by closing down all the LightWave apps (LightWave, Modeler and Hub) and go into your user:library:preferences folder, where you'll find four files that need deleting. I'm not sitting in front of our Mac as I type this, so the names might not be exactly right, but they should be something like:

LightWave Prefs
LightWave Extension Prefs
LightWave Modeler Prefs
LightWave Hub Prefs

WARNING! This will kill any customisations you have made, so it's a good idea to use the editors to save menus and shortcuts.

To rebuild your configs:

1. Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
2. Hit Alt F11 and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message saying "xxx plugins in xxx files found";
3. Hit Alt F10 and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
4. Hit Alt F9 and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
5. Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from its icon, not the Hub or by hitting F12;
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 but be aware that the Preset Menu will only offer LightWave 7.0;
7. Quit Modeler and quit Hub too.

Now restart LightWave.

B

PS. Your Content Directory has nothing to do with your configs (other than the fact that it's detailed in them). It is for determining for LightWave where your scenes, images and objects are to be found.