PDA

View Full Version : Roomy Interior

otacon
06-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Havent posted anything in a while. Heres something new i just finished up. Lightwave+Maxwell. Comments appreciated!

Captain Obvious
06-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Very nice. Are all the stones on the fireplace geometry? How's Maxwell working out for you? How many bounces? How is the lighting set up? Are the windows emitters or do you have an environment outside and transparent windows? How long did it take to render?

Sorry about all the questions, but I am very curious. ;)

otacon
06-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes all those stones are geometry. They probably took the longest of everything to make because i had to model each one and then paint each one individually.

In the new beta version of maxwell you dont have the option of choosing the bounces, it does an infinite amount, or something like that. Im using a sky dome for illumination. Its basically a single color background that gives off light, and you control the intensity. There is also an option of a physical sky but that takes a little longer to render and i liked how the sky dome looked. No emitters in the scene. There are windows as you can see, they add to the render time but i needed them in for reflections. This render took 12 hours, without the glass windows it was getting pretty good at 8 hours....but i wanted the glass so i waited. Maxwell is really easy for me to setup, no hassle with different kinds of lights or faking anything, but you pay for it in render time.....not a problem for this because it was just for fun.

Captain Obvious
06-19-2005, 12:43 PM
That's why I'm curious about Maxwell... No need to fake anything. Just set the sky and lamps up as you would in the real world and hit 'render'. Come back the morning after and you have a good-looking image. Awesome. ;) And the render times aren't really that bad, I think. Try Lightwave's native with a couple of indirect bounces and blurred reflections/fractions and you'll probably have even higher render times. ;) Before leaving for my girlfriend's house yesterday, I started a rendering. After about 25-26 hours, it's on pass 11 out of 12. Sure, with some tweaking, I could reduce that a whole lot, but still...

Oh, and I hate you because you can create such a nice image "for fun" while I'm struggling to create anything half as good for aggrevation. :p Seriously though, nice work.

gaushell
06-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi Jason - looks very good.

Stones though need some work. There should be more depth to them as they currently look too flat - both joint depth and curvature to the stones, as I wouldn't presume that they are completely flat.

You need a mantel or decorative element to break up the large stone wall too as it is too much of a focal point on its own.

Floor looks a bit odd too - perhaps it should have just a touch of reflection or at least gloss.

You know I like glass like that, but I would put a hint more color in it (too much blow out, I want to be teased that there is more out there)

Something that bothers me about the maxwell AA though - sort of odd in places. Doesn't seem to have as much pixel depth as Lightwave.

As always - great start. Can't wait to see the final.