PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to abort a render and get the result so far?

Captain Obvious
06-19-2005, 07:24 AM
I left for my girlfriend's house about twenty hours ago, and figured I'd do a high-quality render. Well, I guess I turned up the settings too far. It's only on pass nine out of twelve. Curse that radiosity! Anyway, is there any way to abort it and just get the eight finished passes? I'd rather not wait another 4-5 hours...

Thanks in advance.

Wade
06-19-2005, 08:31 AM
I think not. :(

Captain Obvious
06-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I think not. :(
Darnit. :( Oh well, it's on pass ten now. I suppose I might as well wait the remaining couple of hours.

Captain Obvious
06-19-2005, 04:10 PM
The pain, the horrible horrible pain. :rolleyes:

operation
06-20-2005, 02:47 AM
You can't abord ....

Advice usefull for you ! ;)

Next time you have a "big and long" render, you can :

-Use limited area render ( with the " L " key), like this you can render by part and save part by part ( and recompose the picture on photoshop).

-(if you want to have more chance to abord ) Use a small value for memory limit ( 20 M , 10 etc...) This way, Lw will render by small step (more pass) and you will be able to stop the render. (that's your solution)

-you can use a Lscript you can get on Flay ( I don't remember the script's name) This Lscript will split your scene in many file 2 , 3 or 4 etc.. and you can run a networkrender with your splitted scene. Like this you can abord at any time !!! :) and restart your render at anytime ! there is a script to rebuild your picture , you can use Photoshop too ! :)

Hope you understand me : )

cheers up !
Operation

operation
06-20-2005, 02:54 AM
I did a small search on flay ... : )

RenderSplitter:
RenderSplitter Splits scene to render frame with in multiple parts. "RenderSplitter is LightWaveLayout plug-in which splits rendering into smaller parts. The plug-in sets up Camera Mask multiple times (as many as Segments X * Segments Y) automatically and saves the scenes in the place you choose.

and you can use

Harpoon: (network renderer)

It's free for 2 node (you can use it on 1 computer only too) it's very easy to use and without network setup.

Hope that's help :

Cheers Up!
Operation

mattclary
06-20-2005, 06:56 AM
You can with F-Prime!!!!! :cool:

Captain Obvious
06-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, I only set it on such a long render because I wasn't going to be home anyway. I don't plan on making a habit of day-long renderings. At least not until I get Fprime. ;)

toby
06-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Dude don't bother doing long renders with the PLD - I've yet to see one done at maximum that looks as good as Enhanced High or Extreme, and it takes longer -

Captain Obvious
06-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, by my calculations, 17 passes (high) would take much too long, and I wanted more passes than the nine or whatever that medium gives. Oh well.

toby
06-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Comparing a 12-pass PLD (27 sec.) to Enh. Medium (22 sec.), the PLD took longer and didn't look as good. Notice the white lines at the robot's feet, in the PLD render they're dots.