PDA

View Full Version : Import Illustrator files

anton_cid
06-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Hi I'm desperate ... I'm a novice user and maybe somebody over there can help me.

I just try to animate a 3D logo, the source file is a Illustrator (version 7) file.

First I tryed to import the file in the modeler with the EPSF Loader.

When file is load I finded that the tehre's not "holes" on the "A" "D" and "O" of my text.

How can I drill this?? Or beter, how can I import the original text the right way??

Thanks

Silkrooster
06-18-2005, 06:58 PM
After importing an eps or ai file use merge points tool (lowercase m - shortcut).
Silk

anton_cid
06-18-2005, 07:44 PM
How can I do that...

I already find tne merge tool, but how I use it?? Do I need to apply it to the all object?? I just apply it to the "O" but nothing happens...

Can you help me??

Silkrooster
06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Press the m key without having any objects selected. Press ok, you will either get a message telling you how many points were removed or an error message telling you no points were removed.
The merge points tool can also be located at DETAIL>POINTS>MERGE POINTS
Silk

maxxwv
06-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Personally, I don't use the AutoAxis Drill option in the EPS import - you've got more control manually. If you look at your imported logo in wireframe view, you'll see that the "holes" are there for the O, A, etc..., they're simply additional polygons directly on top of the full letters. Select those polygons, cut them and paste them into another layer. Move them slightly forward on Z, then put that layer into the background, with the full letters in the forground. Now, you can use the Template Drill option to drill the holes into the letters using "Tunnel" on the Z axis. If your resulting polygon has too many points, it will look like nothing happened - try splitting the poly into smaller sections.

Hope that made sense.

zerocrossing
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey... I see not mention of a "template drill" function in the manual (9.2) and when I try using some of the drill functions I can't seem to make anything happen but I did find a way to crash modeler.

More importantly: WTF? How can a "pro" level app like Lightwave NOT be able to A) Import the latest Version of Illustrator (For god's sake Strata 3d can!) and B) not be able to, even with it's own text tools, make a letter 0 with a hole in it. Sorry, it's been a long night and this lack of the most basic function is killing me.

Silkrooster
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
The reason why Lightwave can not load the newer version of Illustrator, is that Lightwave does not read pdf files. If I can ever convince Newtek to add pdf format for both import and export, then Lightwave should not have any problems with the newer versions of illustrator. However I strongly believe the reason for holding off on pdf has to do with licensing issues with the pdf format. Newtek may or may not have the funding at this time, when the funds are more useful for updating the core of lightwave.
Hope that makes sense. Note that is my interpretation of the situation, I do not have any inside information.
Silk

safetyman
05-11-2007, 05:53 AM
You're right, Silk. Adobe doesn't want anyone messing around with it's files anymore. Version 8 is the last version that imports well into other apps (a version 8 .ai file is basically just an .eps file; as a matter of fact, you can change the extension to ".eps" and it will still open in most cases). Adobe doesn't like to play nice with other, "inferior" apps so they locked up the format a long time ago. The Illy files don't even work that well with Photoshop sometimes!

That being said, I don't know how well CS3 exports to other apps or within their own suite -- haven't played around with it that much.

Matt
05-11-2007, 09:03 AM
This video tutorial I made may help clear some stuff up:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43597