PDA

View Full Version : Low poly game stuff - "Teella's weapon"

turbo
06-18-2005, 12:48 PM
my mistake, ... wrong place

ACLOBO
06-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Teella is also the name of the woman warrior from the Masters of the Universe series....

-Adrian

Lamont
06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
What is it made of?

turbo
06-19-2005, 12:12 PM
my mistake, .... wrong forum

turbo
09-14-2005, 05:27 PM
my mistake, ...wrong audience

Bigboy
09-17-2005, 04:10 AM
You might want to up the poly count a little. Modern cards get bored if you dont give them enough to draw in one go. Even your main character could do with having some more polys added.

What card(s) are you building this for? GeForce4 and up?

They can take models of around 5k+ polys without a problem. Your 200 poly weapon can be pushed up a lot as well.

The think to remember about driving graphics cards, is its not "really" the number of polys these days (unless your trying to draw a million a time!), but the number of times you call drawprimitive().

So, you have 19 mount points... thats 20 models right there. You might as well give it a lot to draw, or its going to end up waiting on your CPU to send more. Theres a few NVidia+ATI papers on these things, these days you get a lot of polys free.

a better way.... would be to somehow make them all one mesh, and use bones to control all the movement and placement... then you could draw 19x more objects :)

All, in all... unless your doing it for a GeForce1 (and even then you can push it up a little)... you can have a bit of fun and add a lot more detail...

turbo
09-17-2005, 09:52 AM
wrong..

i won't even waste my time on this one..

lol

Lamont
09-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm with Turbo. MMO's have to deal with a lot of people/items on screen. FFXI weapons and monsters are not even pushing huge poly-counts because they have to deal with 10-30 people on screen, and effects.

MMO's are way different than other games in what the requirements are. You are not drawing an arena, or some small map. You have a huge world and all the zones to deal with.

Bigboy
09-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Well, its up to you if you dont want to take the advice... but I know what I'm talking about.

Its not about the numbers of polys (as long as its not silly), but the number of draw calls. Look around... you'll see what I mean.

But I will ask what GFX card your aiming for as the "base spec"? I assume at least a GeForce3+ these days.... Since a new low spec card is very cheap(30). Although, I'll admit that there are a LOT of GeForce4mx cards out there.

Edit: Have a read of this too... http://developer.nvidia.com/object/XGDX_2003_presentations.html

Its a couple of years old, but its still valid. The number of calls changes depending on machine and gfx card, but its a good guildline. And Since your aiming for 30 characters. Thats 30*19 items = 570 draw calls already.

But its up to you..... And please dont be rude when someone is trying to help.

turbo
09-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Lamont.. I appreciate your more knowledgeable responses.

But I think I'll share my game dev stuff with the real game development community from now on.
They really are much more educated, experienced and supportive.

I wasn't being rude.. I was stating a fact. It has been a waste of my time.
My mistake for choosing the wrong place to post.
I apologize for that mistake.

*moderator, please feel free to delete this thread.

Bigboy
09-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Much more educated? really? you really have no clue do you.... well have fun.

BTW.... I've been in the games industry for over 16 years, and have been doing 3D engines for over 10.

However, Good luck with your project, I hope it all goes well.