PDA

View Full Version : Copy Layers With Names

DustinBrown
06-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Is there a way, in Modeler, to copy a layer from, say, layer slot 3 to slot 5 and have it retain its name? That would be a great feature. If I can't do it straight out of LW, does anyone know of a plugin that will do this?

Thanks,
Dustin Brown

DustinBrown
06-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Speaking of retaining names, I have another problem. When I save out a surface file then import it into an new object file, the surface isn't remembering its own name. Let's say, for example, that I want to make a "brushed aluminum" surface for my own personal surface library. Id like to be able to import that brushed aluminum surface into any object file and have it remember that it is called "brushed aluminum" I don't want to have to rename it every time. Am I just going about it wrong?

- Dustin

Surrealist.
06-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Speaking of retaining names, I have another problem. When I save out a surface file then import it into an new object file, the surface isn't remembering its own name. Let's say, for example, that I want to make a "brushed aluminum" surface for my own personal surface library. Id like to be able to import that brushed aluminum surface into any object file and have it remember that it is called "brushed aluminum" I don't want to have to rename it every time. Am I just going about it wrong?

- Dustin

The way it works is that you create all of your surface names in modeler. They are not connected to the attributes directly. That is, a WigetLeftNub is always a WigetLeftNub not a RightNub, WigetRing, WigetThreads etc. It has more to do with the workflow and orginization of your model into logical sections and for the practical application of surfacing in Layout. This is true for any type of model be it character or archetecture.

Naming conventions come into play here as well. A naming convention is a standard format that you come up with that is consistant in a model or all of your work as an example:

67ChevBumber
67ChevRightDoor
67ChevDash

This is an easy way to keep things orginized - or more simply put

ObjectPart1
ObjectPart2
etc.

Yu can see how disconcerting it wouold be to suddenly have ObjectPart4 become GenericGlossy or something.

When you "save a surface" and give it a name that is only a name for the preset which is a set of attributes that you then load into your true-to-it's-name Surface which is a very specific technical thing in any 3D application.

Hope this helps.

DustinBrown
06-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah I guess I can understand how it might not necessarily get in the way if your doing an old Chevy that has distinguishable differences from one metal panel to the next, but I'm working on things where one generic aluminum surface material will suffice for the whole scene where aluminum is needed, and will suffice for future scenes as well. Unfortunately, in this kind of scenario, the feature set seems to be working against me rather than for me because I have to, for lack of a better word, remind it that it is called aluminum. I guess I just don't see what harm would be in having surfaces remember their names. So you name a surface RustyMetal, and you what to use it through out your old Chevy model, but you know that every panel will have different color, bump maps etc. So you'd just bring in how ever many RustyMetal surfaces you need and rename them accordingly. You would have to rename them regardless, where as someone in my shoes would not. Its a win-win situation.

I understand and respect your perspective, but this is just my opinion. I like an object or a layer or a material, or anything I'm working with, to have an established name hard-wired in to it (but changeable at any time) for organizational and access purposes.

- Dustin

Surrealist.
06-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Well that's easy then.

If you want to have all of your surfaces with metal have the same name, then name then so in modeler. Done deal. It won't matter what you name your presets.

I thought you were asking for something more esoteric, my appology. Lightwave is already there to give you what you need. Especially if you want to have all of your surfaces of one type the same. It could not be simpler.

I have a feeling that you just have a slight missunderstanding of the process of surfacing which has led you down a slightly difficult path. More difficult than it needs to be.

You see it is already set up that way. Also, you can choose in Surface Editor weather you want to Surface by Object or by Scene. By object lets you have a surface with the same name thoughout all your objects and then you can have different attributes on a by object basis.

By scene will let you just apply one surface attribute to all surfaces of all objects in your scene with the same name.

The place you give surface names is in modeler. You can go back and use the w key to select surfaces by name and change them all if you want at the same time. Have a surface naming party in modeler, invite your freinds, nothing could be more entertaining. When you are done just go to layout and load presets to your heart's content and they will all have the same name.