PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave [8] Release

Kcarriedo
04-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Lightwave 8 is to be release at Siggraph 2003.
Heres the address if you want to read about it.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/25/lightwave/

Just letting you know.

Dirk
04-27-2003, 04:59 AM
Quote: "What's more, NewTek noted that anyone who has purchases LightWave 3D [7.5] -- the current release version -- since April 1, 2003 will receive a free update by download once LightWave 3D [8] is released."

Great. I bought LW in february....

Dillon
04-27-2003, 01:40 PM
So there isn't any confusion....

LightWave [8] is scheduled to be *shown* at Siggraph, not released at this time. Projected release date for [8] is 4th Quarter 2003.

Dillon

luka
04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Dillon
So there isn't any confusion....

LightWave [8] is scheduled to be *shown* at Siggraph, not released at this time. Projected release date for [8] is 4th Quarter 2003.

Dillon

That is really confusing as 4th quater generally means the financial period from April to June?

TyVole
04-29-2003, 07:40 PM
The forth quarter means between Sep 1 and Dec 31.

Kcarriedo
04-30-2003, 12:21 AM
Sorry about the wording.

sorry did'nt mean to cause any cunfusion.

kcarriedo

mattclary
04-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Actually, Oct 1 - Dec 31 is fourth quarter. Quarters are 3 months long, not 4. Some companies have odd fiscal years that end at times other than Dec 31, but usually if someone references 4th quarter, they mean Oct 1 through Dec 31.

Matt
04-30-2003, 07:18 AM
now I'm really confused!!!

;)

kevinmcpoland
12-02-2003, 02:32 AM
....it is now 2nd Dec 03. I may be looking on the wrong Newtek pages, but I haven't seen any recent screenshots, even though the Lightwave 8 preview page stated there would be new stuff updated, nor any mention of being on time etc etc.

Has anyone out there got some idea at all over whether I will be getting an early christmas present or not?

And I know the default answer of "it will be ready when it's ready..." exists, but I believe there are some lite versions of plug ins I am thinking of getting which I believe are incorporated into LW8, and rather than rush out and spend even more money on the full versions, I would like to test them first!

Thanks guys,

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

hrgiger
12-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by kevinmcpoland

And I know the default answer of "it will be ready when it's ready..."

See, you already know the answer.
You have less then 29 days. I wouldn't spend my money on something I'll be getting within a month anyway. I doubt you'll see much more info on 8 until Newtek Announces that LW8 is shipping.

kevinmcpoland
12-02-2003, 05:50 AM
....the bit re 29 days hasn't really been answered though, has it? Even a post to say it's on schedule would be something, but we haven't got that, so it may be more than 29 days...(too often we have been disappointed with companies, so one tends to look to the dark side now and again...)

I suppose that because I have to give timescales for deadlines, I look at the rest of the world in a similar way. (Just my small and insignificant insight!).

I kind of rue the day the first company started to use the cop out answer of "...when it's ready...). I'm sure that on the Calendar of the head of newtek there is a big sticker stating "LW8 Released!", it would just be nice to put one on my calendar too!

And lets face it, there was the time when companies (going back a while though) used to actually give a release date, and even stick to it or bring it out early. Just a shame really that we can't get that anymore.

Anyway, I acknowledge the reply from HRGiger that I will just have to wait, but as stated, I was just checking to see if I was actually missing a large chunk of the website giving me all the details I wanted...

Sorry if anyone feels I've wasted their time,

Thanks,

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

cdeutekom
12-02-2003, 09:13 AM
If you havent already, go check out the new screenshots of LW8 in the Community Forum that Photon has put out there. Newtek should be able to make this quarter after all. And this should be a fantastic Christmas for us all.

tawolf
12-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Hello;
I am hoping to see the offer to buy the books and cd for those of us that ordered the upgrade.

Any news about it?

Tawolf

hrgiger
12-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Kevin,

I wasn't implying at all that you were wasting anyone's time, I hope you didn't get that from me. I was just stating that nothing has changed since they announced 4th quarter 2003. As far as we know, they're still on schedule.

Tawolf,

If you already ordered your upgrade and are interested in getting the harcopy manual, you should call Newtek. I know a few people who have already ordered it with their upgrade. There's no place to specify, it looks like at this point it's upon request only. I'm sure once 8 is released, there will be an option available online to order the hard docs.

G3D
12-03-2003, 10:40 PM
...take their time and don't realse it until it has been thouroughly tested, and make sure everything works. JPEG, PSD ect import/export, the Spreadsheet doesnt result in crashes, configs that enable ALL features, no missing plugins...

We can only hope.