PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me from front to back

Johnsongraphix
06-16-2005, 06:42 AM
When I model an object and it faces towards you (+Z) in the front view window, why does the camera in Layout face (+Z) also, creating a camera view of the back of an object. Why do I load models from the content folder and they face away from me in the front view.
This has always bothered me, so I figured it was time to see if there's a good reason for this.
Does anyone know? I can't be the first to ask this.
Thanks!
:confused:

mattclary
06-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Does a tree that falls in the forest with no one to hear make a sound? :cool:

Asking "why" is just going to waste your time. You seem to have a grasp on the differences, I would just adapt. If it causes you a real problem, I would open a case with Newtek and try to get them to fix it, or post a request in the Feature Request forum.

JamesCurtis
06-16-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm not sure, but I believe it has something to do with an objects expected direction of motion. Moving forward would be expected to proceed into the +Z direction.

joeldberry
06-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Matt's right... it's just one of those Lightwave ways of doing things... the same reason that almost every training video/tutorial you see has people modeling in the "back" (or "rear") view even though what they are modeling is facing forwards.

As Dan Ablan put it, try to remember (when dealing with the front and back views) that it's the direction the camera is facing: i.e., when you are in "front" mode, the camera is actually at the back of the object "facing" the front direction of the object.

It's kind of a psychological work-around, but after a while, you get used to it. None of the other views have this problem, just front and back views.

somnambulance
06-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I think since +Z is basically North, that is why they chose +Z for the direction for things to face. For importing items from other scenes (check out the bird tutorial) and game exporters, models have to be facing North. If they were not, the birds or game models would not be oriented correctly. If you want a model to follow a motion path and set its heading for that motion path, the model must be facing North. The camera in Layout by default is facing North. So everything is facing north by default, and Matt has a better reply than I do.

mattclary
06-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Matt has a better reply than I do.

And I want points for not accusing anyone of piracy in this thread too!!!!! :)

somnambulance
06-16-2005, 09:37 AM
+125000, its like pinball

hrgiger
06-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Just remember, it is Allen Hastings fault that it is setup that way.

joeldberry
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Just remember, it is Allen Hastings fault that it is setup that way.

That might explain why when I try to create a polygon using vertices in Modo, and customarily click them in clockwise order, just like a good Lightwave user would ... the polygon's face is reversed!

Or maybe I am just viewing the scene from the wrong side of my monitor...

Grrrrr...

Earl
06-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Or maybe I am just viewing the scene from the wrong side of my monitor...

That's more likely the case.

MonroePoteet
06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Remember, my son...you must learn to BE the object. See through its eyes, hear through its ears, move as it moves.

Seriously, though, it makes the object/local coordinate system and the world/global coordinate system have the same orientation. Otherwise, using the object's local coordinate system would cause rotations and Z motions to be backward, which in a parenting hierarchy could get *really* confusing really fast. Since the view system is a left-handed coordinate system, I think Newtek just decided to make the local coordinate system left-handed as well.

Once you get used to it, I think it makes complex hierarchies within complex scenes easier to grasp intuitively...less mind flips based upon context. Just my opinion, though.

mTp

colkai
06-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Remember, my son...you must learn to BE the object
Ahh yes, young modeller, straight outta nowhere, this polygon to take the crown. :p