PDA

View Full Version : Failing with bones

brayne
06-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi all, I have been asked to do a simple little bit of character animation (a rarity for me), and I'm failing badly.

I have a simple little subpatched person, and I have built a skelegon bones structure. I have weighted the polygons for use with the bones. I bring the object into Layout, and convert the skelegons to bones, and then I go linking each bone to the relevant weight map.

Next I start animating. Everything seems to work fine. My little character moves exactly as I want him to. Then, all of a sudden, my character twists out of shape, and ends up looking like a Picasso painting. Whatever I did, it doesn't undo, and even when I revert to an old saved scene file, it behaves the same way. I have no idea what I did to cause this, or why I can't seem to undo it, but I would rather not start from scratch again.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause and solution to this problem? I'm using 8.3.

Thanks,
Bruce

Darth Mole
06-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Sounds a bit like gimbal lock, which happens when an item rotates to the point where two of it's rotational axes 'line up' (there's a description and some useful tips here: http://www.anticz.com/eularqua.htm).

The figure or limb will suddenly decided to rotate, like, 180 degrees on a new axis and deform the mesh out of shape.

It may be a case of going back and redesigning the rig (possibly adding more control bones), or setting up limitations on movement (like locking axes or setting limits on angle values). I've had simlar things with a pro rig I downloaded and I was pretty baffled to be honest...

Probably worth posting pics of the rig before/after so others can help.

Darth Mole
06-16-2005, 01:19 AM
[Edit] Oops, duplicate posts.

BeeVee
06-16-2005, 01:44 AM
It may be because you didn't "rest" your bones when you initially made the scene. Try going through every bone and hitting r. Then save and reload the scene and tell me what you have?

B

brayne
06-16-2005, 01:53 AM
It may be because you didn't "rest" your bones when you initially made the scene. Try going through every bone and hitting r. Then save and reload the scene and tell me what you have?

B

Thanks Ben, that looks like it. This is what happens when you try 'skimming' the tutorials when you're in a hurry!

Thanks so much for your help.

Bruce

BeeVee
06-16-2005, 02:57 AM
No worries Bruce, my pleasure. Any chance we can see your excellent Screamernet controller on the PC at all? ;)

B

brayne
06-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Definitely on the cards. My "to do" list is incredibly long at the moment, but "develop a PC version of RenderFarm Commander" is in there!

Bruce

BeeVee
10-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Haha! You've just reminded me to quiz you about this by referring to this thread in another! How's the PC version going? ;)

B

brayne
10-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Getting closer, but still a fair way off. If I could find a way to develop software all the time, I would have it ready in the blink of an eye, but I keep having to come in and spend my days at this full-time job! What a waste of time! ;)