PDA

View Full Version : Earth map to spherical texture

joeldberry
06-15-2005, 04:47 PM
We are working on a video to recruit European industry to our area, and I am creating a globe that will spin around from Europe to the United States, and then zoom into our region.

I want to use this extremely high-res image of the earth from Nasa's website (http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?vev1id=11656) that looks really good when zoomed in, but I can't get it to map spherically very well onto a spherical object.

In particular, there is the very apparent seam where the texture meets on the other side of the sphere which makes it difficult to do more than 3/4 revolution of the earth (without seeing the seam).

Here's a screenshot: http://www.cdfms.org/images/earth.gif

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

jdb

Sastira
06-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Perhaps you could use Photoshop to offset the image and paint an acceptable seam?

cgbloke2004
06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
thats the seam in lightwave's ogl view though [which always looks worse than it really is iirc], have you seen what its like when rendered out? perhaps it could be obscured by clouds? shrouded in the dark side? obscured by lens flare?

oab
06-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I think you'll find that seam is just an openGL thing as I get it all the time but if you take the model into layout and render a frame you'll find the seam isn't actually there. I have used the same satelite images you have mentioned here with no problem.

marble_sheep
06-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I think you'll find that seam is just an openGL thing as I get it all the time but if you take the model into layout and render a frame you'll find the seam isn't actually there. I have used the same satelite images you have mentioned here with no problem.

+1, that's correct... render it and it will be gone. it is a display error in openGL ;)

joeldberry
06-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks to all... I have to admit I didn't render it, because if I was doing something wrong, I didn't want to waste the long rendering time (with the extremely high-res image) if it wasn't going to work, but I guess I should have, since it's just an OpenGL error... Thanks again!

jdb