PDA

View Full Version : Anyone deal with STLs all the time?

BeeVee
06-15-2005, 05:51 AM
Hi all,

I want to collate a tutorial about importing and exporting STL files using LightWave. I intend to talk about the SHM_STL tools from Sean Hyde-Moyer and MergeTrigonsX to re-quad from tris. It will be a tutorial that shows how to install the plug-ins and configure the menus, etc.

What I need is someone to look over my shoulder as I write it to make sure I'm not telling porkies or forgetting anything, and a goodly selection of STL files from different sources so that a) I can compare them on import and b) can better see how to export.

B

paulrus
06-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Ben - just FYI, on the Mac I have been unable to get STLs directly into Lightwave, regardless of the plug-in. I deal with them probably at least once a month. I worked with a plug-in developer who was building an STL importer for Mac/PC (it might be the same one you're talking about) and sent him some sample STL files and he also was never able to get them to work properly. It seems that not all STLs are the same.

Right now the best method I've come up with is to take the STLs into an old copy of Interchange on a PC and convert them to LWOs, then bring them in to LW to clean them up.

Paul

BeeVee
06-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Aha! Good info Paul, because I was just showing a guy how to do it (using SHM_STL_tools on a G5 Mac with LightWave 8.3) and put it in hius menus and so on. Tell me more about your setup, and better yet, send me an STL file to try here? I reckon that it would be an informative reference to have for people.

B

paulrus
06-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Sending an email now. :-)

Paul

Steve McRae
06-16-2005, 04:08 PM
you can also use (not for mac - sorry) accutrans to convert the file

- http://www.micromouse.ca/

Exception
06-17-2005, 03:52 AM
I was just gonna say.
Yaay Accutrans 3D.

BeeVee
06-17-2005, 03:57 AM
Does Accutrans work any better than the SHM_STL_Tools? What benefits does it offer? I understand it's not expensive, but it's still more expensive than free... :)

B

Steve McRae
06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
its just another tool - it can export to more formats than just STL

=)

BeeVee
06-20-2005, 02:11 AM
True, true... :D

B