PDA

View Full Version : rendering transparent polygons?

monfoodoo
06-15-2005, 12:12 AM
With no polys being set to be transparent,what does this mean while it's rendering "rendering transparent polygons"?are these polys ones not visible to the rays? it's eating up half of my render time. (the bikes not done yet) Scott

Also,that chrome distortion is giving me a problem(3 spotlights and an image world).
That's at a 35 pass render,any thoughts would help.

Exception
06-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Ok, the chrome highlight distortion: its probably because the contrst is too high. Try it without Adaptive sampling if you have it on...

The transparent polygons... hmm... what do you see that is added? Do any material secretly have a map in the transparency layer? Any plugins that might introduce transparency (I know Fast Fresnel-like plugins can do this sort of thing...)

I'm sure there's something else that can induce transparent polygon rendering (which is basically reverse rendering, back first, front last)....

Perhaps someone else?

monfoodoo
06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
i don't know what changed,but the transparent thing in render doesn't appear
anymore.the render time is cut by half now.
i'm using a hydri in image world.i don't have to much experience with them yet.
if i use a standard image it looks fine but not as nice.any advice is welcome.
scott

monfoodoo
06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
I meant "HDRI". scott

Exception
06-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Ok, well, then add bloom by using Coriolis in the post-processing plugins section. This will create nice bloom and rid you of the jagged edges.

EmperorPete
06-17-2005, 06:43 AM
By default, the Fast Fresnel shader does transparency. I remember watching LW rendering transparent polys that weren't ransparent, before I worked out what was going on.

yazan
06-19-2005, 12:58 PM
The jagged edges are a result of you trying to view pixels which if you had the lightwave FP viewer would register over 100%. This is due to the extended range in the HDRI images which in turn show on the reflections that now have also an extended range beyond what a normal RGB jpg can view, so you see pixelations. I have found this to be irritating and confusing. What you need to do is limit the colors to not go beyond 100%. This can be done in image processing of the HDRI by adding hings like HDRI exposure and/or video legalize and/or blur od additional items or plugins. All of which have been found to reduce those antialiased look. But note you will lose some of that shine, in terms of contrast, however you can just play with levels and add bloom in post, reserving the image and without having to rerender it everytime. And what was mentioned about fast fresnel being considered as transparent could be your problem.
Yazan

monfoodoo
06-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks.i,ll work with what you have written and see whats best.scott