PDA

View Full Version : Parent skelegons without sharing vertices?

kjl
06-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Is it possible to parent skelegons in Modeler without it making the child's start vertex and the parent's end vertex the same? (It doesn't simply move one vertex to the other; it makes them share the same vertex, so they are impossible to separate afterwards without breaking the heirarchy).

It's easy enough to do in Layout afterwards (and only once, much much thanks to Dodgy's MGUpdateBones (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=234653&postcount=30) script), but it's kind of annoying that I can't set up my entire bone heirarchy the way I want it in Modeler.

Thanks,

Dodgy
06-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the plug :) Hope you're finding it useful :)

Nope you can't :P
It would be even handier if skelegons showed up in the layer editor in their hierarchy , and you could parent layers to them too!

kjl
06-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes, I am finding it extremely useful! I'm placing dozens and dozens of pistons in a robot hand model, and I am setting up their orientations and positions with bones. So when I am rigging them, I am updating all my bones in Layout with your script maybe once every 5 minutes!

Surrealist.
06-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Is this a tool that would help your situation?

kjl
06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Ah, thanks for that - I'll take a look at the manual when I get home tonight.

That might help, but I don't think so, unless there is a Joint Mover for the base as opposed to the tip. I would like to have each of the 5-10 child bones of the same parent bone to have different starting vertices, which you probably can't do if you can only offset the tips of bones with Joint Mover.