PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 Learning curve

droodawg127
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
I am currently using LW7.5 and am considering upgrading to 8.0 with the new deal that newtek announced. Is there much of a learning curve from 7.5 to 8 or will I be able to pick up on my projects right where I left off? Thanks

somnambulance
06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Its just a matter of finding where they are stashed now. You will have to stop every now and then to find out where whatever too went.

kjl
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
My learning curve from 7.5 to 8.2 was the approximately 15 minutes it took to set up my key bindings, menus, and third party plugins. Then all was good.

kml12
06-14-2005, 05:54 PM
It's very easy to make the tranition from 7.5 to 8, not to mention that it adds new features that can make life easier. ie new modeling tools, dynamcs, etc...

tischbein3
06-14-2005, 05:55 PM
interesting question.

In my opinion it is even harder to get into the new functions of 8 if you are an experienced user, because you have established/learned a certain work- flow wich you wont leave as easy as a new / unexperienced user.

But like the posts above mentioned this is very difficult to judge without knowing someones experience level.

So a few (worthfull ?) notes:

1. the new 8.0-8.3 features fit into the previous version / and most of them are even more logical (like the dynamics tab in object properties).

2. the menue structure has been changed in some ways, so its likely that you will need a few seconds to locate a tool in the first weeks, but IMHO it is a lot less cluttered wich will compensate it.

3. several issues of the documentation have been reedited / added.

mattclary
06-15-2005, 05:44 AM
IMO, there is no learning curve between the two other than features in 8 that didn't exist prior. Looking for new shortcut keys doesn't count as part of a learning curve, IMO.

droodawg127
06-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your responses. I just made the purchase and hopefully be using it within a few days.