PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet says it can't find any CPU's. Help!

Lunar Unit
06-14-2005, 01:27 PM
This is my first attempt at setting up screamernet. I only have one computer networked to mine so I can farm out renders to it while I keep working. I've followed Dan Ablan's tutorial in Inside Lightwave 8 on setting up screamernet, but it still says it can't find any CPU's. Any suggestions?

polarbear53
06-14-2005, 03:49 PM
The screamer command set on the screamernet server isn't set to pointing at the same job files the .bat files are pointing to.

Lunar Unit
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm really not that tech savvy, so I'll try to tell you what's going on in terms I understand.
I have a folder I share with one other computer called screamernet, it ofcourse is my main Lightwave[8] folder. The master computer's name is FRANK. When I go to the command directory and set it to a folder screamernet_command in side my shared folder, the directory displays \Lightwave[8]\screamernet_command\ instead of the shared folder Frank\screamernet\screamernet_command.

The same thing happens when I try to set the content directory to the shared folder screamernet. The Lightwave[8] original folder on the master computer is displayed. Not Frank\screamernet.

So when I go to create the .bat file I'm not sure how I should design it.
What I have tried is this:

echo "Lightwave Screamernet Node 1 Initialisation . . ."
cd c:\lightwave[8]\programs\
LWSN -2 -c\\Frank\screamernet\config_screamernet -
d\\Frank\screamernet\ \\Frank\screamernet\screamer_command\job1
\\Frank\screamernet\screamer_command\ack1

When I click on the .bat file it disappears so fast I can't even read what kind of errors it's giving me. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone at all, but if you have any tips, I'd be much obliged.

polarbear53
06-16-2005, 12:01 AM
It is in the way you write the .bat file if it is closing really fast, there is somthing wrong with it accessing LWSN.exe or the commands your are passing to it. Open the .bat file from DOS so that way it doesn't close down fast and you can take a look.

I wrote a program to make .bat files if you wanna try it! I don't have a turorial for it or anything, but it should work, it's what I use from now on. It is the WhisperNet thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37857) right under this one.

Lunar Unit
06-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I really don't know enough about MSDOS and writing .bat files so I called up Newtek and did their tutorial in the manual. I used drive mapping instead of sharing folders and it was much easier for me to write a very simple .bat file without any errors. It actually worked. I may just check out how you write them though. Sound useful. Thanks again.